Concord Rangers 3 Wealdstone 1: Stones sunk by Beachboys in National League South

PUBLISHED: 16:00 11 December 2017

Wealdstone manager Bobby Wilkinson (pic:

Wealdstone manager Bobby Wilkinson (pic:


National League South: Concord Rangers 3 Wealdstone 1

Wealdstone suffered more misery on their travels after a 3-1 defeat away to Concord Rangers at The Aspect Arena on a chilly afternoon on Canvey Island.

Khale Da Costa’s 25-yard curler gave the Beachboys a first half lead before Ben Greenhalgh scored a penalty just five minutes into the second half, Eddie Oshodi responded for the Stones but Harry Lee wrapped it up on 90 minutes with his first Concord goal.

Bobby Wilkinson made two changes to the side that beat Braintree Town last week, Oshodi returned from suspension in place of the injured Ryan Sellers and Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick started in a more attacking formation, in place of Glenn Wilson.

Both sides enjoyed a fair-share of first half chances. Steve Cawley flicked a header wide inside ten minutes before Concord keeper Louis Wells made two smart stops to deny Dan Fitchett and Ciaron Brown.

Danny Green almost netted a spectacular 30-yard first-timed strike but Wells acrobatically tipped it over, unfortunately for Wealdstone the referee pointed for a goal kick and the hosts took the lead from the next passage of play.

Green gave away the ball in the middle to Da Costa who burst forward, beating Brown, and then curled an unstoppable 25-yard effort past the grounded Jonathan North.

Stones rallied and Green’s delivery from corners was largely positive all afternoon. Matt Day and Oshodi both headed wide from corners immediately after Concord’s opener.

Then just before half time, Fitchett had a miss of the season contender. Abobaker Eisa made a bursting forward run before his strike from the edge of the box was spilled by Wells into the path of Fitchett and from a yard out he somehow struck the ball off the post.

Putting that miss aside, Wealdstone had a chance to rally in the second half in a game that was there for the taking.

Unfortunately the task of winning the game became increasingly difficult just five minutes into the half when Oshodi needlessly brought down Greenhalgh. He dusted himself off and coolly dispatched the penalty, sending North the wrong way.

Oshodi atoned for that error just eight minutes later. Concord failed to properly clear a Stones set-piece and the ball bounced forward to Oshodi and he slotted past Wells.

The right-back almost added another just two minutes later expertly bringing down Brown’s cross, only to then shoot across the face of goal when under pressure from Wells and a defender.

Concord settled thereafter and Wealdstone rarely threatened beyond the hour-mark although were aggrieved when Eisa was brought down in the box by Wells, only to be booked for diving.

And the hosts wrapped the game up just before added time. Sub Femi Akinwande opted to play a cross rather than waste time by the corner flag, Brown got a toe on the low cross but only played it into Lee’s path who smashed a low effort past North from the edge of the area.

Results however went in Wealdstone’s favour with the gap to leaders Dartford remaining at seven points. Although the Stones won’t be looking at the league table this week as they’ll be preparing for an FA Trophy tie at home to local rivals Wingate & Finchley on Saturday

Related articles

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists