Brentford 1-0 QPR: Marco Djuricin’s second-half goal sees Bees leapfrog west London rivals

PUBLISHED: 00:40 31 October 2015 | UPDATED: 00:40 31 October 2015

QPR fell to a 1-0 defeat at west London rivals Brentford on Friday night

QPR fell to a 1-0 defeat at west London rivals Brentford on Friday night


Marco Djuricin’s goal gave Brentford a 1-0 west London derby win over QPR and turned up the heat on Chris Ramsey.

Austrian striker Djuricin grabbed his fourth goal of the season as the Bees beat their fierce rivals for the first time in 50 years.

It meant another miserable evening for Rangers manager Ramsey, who is already under fire from fans and under pressure from above at Loftus Road.

They had not even faced Brentford in more than a decade but made the short trip with some trepidation following an unconvincing start to the season to face a Bees side who had won their last three games.

However, they can count themselves unfortunate after Massimo Luongo was twice denied by the woodwork in the first half.

Brentford had the first chances of a scrappy opening 45 minutes with Chelsea loanee John Swift forcing an early save from Rob Green and Alan McCormack heading over.

Rangers were struggling to string two passes together but the Bees were unable to take advantage, their best chance falling to Swift whose fierce, curling effort was kept out by Green at full stretch.

The visitors finally mustered a shot on goal after 33 minutes but Matt Phillips’ effort did not trouble David Button.

Moments later Tjaronn Chery’s chip floated over before Luongo found the frame of the goal twice in the space of five minutes.

The Rangers forward nodded a Phillips cross against the crossbar before cutting in from the left wing to fire a low shot across Button and back off the inside of the far post.

Brentford came close to opening the scoring in the first minute of the second half when McCormack found Djuricin inside the area.

His snap shot looked destined for the back of the net until Green instinctively stuck out an arm, with Swift firing the rebound wide.

But they were not to be denied and eventually took the lead in the 56th minute when Alan Judge broke down the left and drilled a low cross to the edge of the six-yard area where Djuricin tucked the ball home.

Ramsey threw on Charlie Austin, just back to fitness after a month out injured, but the striker barely got a sniff as Rangers finished the match with a whimper and left their beleaguered manager with an uncomfortable walk across the pitch in front of the disgruntled away support.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times