Bostik Premier: Sahr Kabba earns Harrow Borough another win and sends them through in Middlesex Senior Charity Cup

PUBLISHED: 09:00 06 December 2017 | UPDATED: 11:44 06 December 2017

Harrow Borough players celebrate scoring a goal (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo).

Harrow Borough players celebrate scoring a goal (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo).

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Middlesex Senior Charity Cup first round: Harefield United 0 Harrow Borough 1

After a dismal first half performance from Harrow Borough, when Harefield United spurned several good chances, the away side dominated the game in the second half and just about deserved their 1-0 victory with a Sahr Kabba goal on 70 minutes.

The reward for the win is a “derby” game at Rayners Lane, who, like Harefield, are three levels below Harrow.

Steve Baker fielded a starting XI for this Middlesex Senior Charity Cup game, including a debut at centre half for Adam Pepera, just signed from Chesham United.

Pepera had lost his place in the Chesham starting team in recent weeks and looked a bit rusty.

Although the Reds had more of the early play, Harefield had the first chance when Tom Williams rode a couple of tackles as he ran in from the right wing, but his shot went well over the bar.

They had another chance when a long clearance from defence landed in the penalty area and Lenny Farhall got his foot to the ball, but it ran through to Melvin Minter.

Soon after, Ffrom a Harefield corner, Minter flapped at the ball, claiming a foul, but his embarrassment was spared when a Harefield foul was committed elsewhere in the penalty area.

As the half progressed, Harefield were showing more urgency than Harrow, were playing the more controlled football and their diminutive forward line were causing problems for the away defence.

Borough were attacking by long balls from defence, where their forwards were either caught offside (particularly Kabba) or were getting little change out of the Harefield defence.

The hosts had the best chance of the half when Shaun Preddie was beaten to the ball near his right corner flag.

The cross reached Andre Ford unmarked in the middle of the penalty area, but despite time on his hands, he could only manage a tame shot, easily saved by Minter.

Baker’s team came more into the game towards the end of the half. A delightfully weighted ball from George Moore, Harrow`s best player on the night, reached Kabba to the right of the Harefield posts, but he was crowded out.

He had another opportunity when he just failed to connect with a cross from the left while at the other end, a poor attempted clearance by Pepera reached Farhall. He lobbed Minter, but the ball went well over the bar.

The home side also had the last action of the half when Farhall again skied over the bar from a Sam Shaw cross.

Baker would have been fully justified in giving the Harrow team a rocket at half time and they certainly started the second half with more determination, the passing improved and the Harefield defence came under real pressure.

From a corner, Ryan Moss got a clear header, but the ball bounced off Mark McLeod who had his back to goal.

A Michael Bryan dribble along the goal line was cleared and the same player shot just over the corner of the goal following a corner.

Kabba was then put through by Kurtis Cumberbatch, but his shot was parried away before Banya began to get into the game after an invisible first half and he shot across goal after a run from the left.

Harefield play was now ragged and they were providing little threat to Harrow and the Borough scored the only goal of the game on 70 minutes.

From inside his own half, Moss produced a lovely crosssfield pass from right to left to find Kabba, who beat offside for once to run clear and shoot past Jacob Ballheimer from just inside the penalty area.

Shortly after, Baker made three substitutions, but Harrow continued to press and they nearly scored a second goal when Cumberbatch got on to a quality cross from Kyle Beggs, but his header came back off the bar to Kabba missed the rebound.

Ant O’Connor then got clear of the Harefield defence, but his shot was pushed away by Ballheimer.

Harefield had the final action of the game with a free kick just outside of the penalty area, but to the relief of the Harrow supporters, the shot went wide.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists