Bizarre Harrow goal turns the tide against Brent

PUBLISHED: 17:07 28 November 2012

Drillon Krasniqi

Drillon Krasniqi


A freak goal just before half-time proved to be the turning point as Brent under-12s crashed to a 3-1 home defeat by Harrow.

Brent started well, producing wave after wave of attacks, and Delgardo Smith was denied by the Harrow goalkeeper, while Damani Ayre’s effort was cleared off the line.

Despite the wet, muddy conditions the home side dominated in midfield, with Tom Dallmeyer and Drillon Krasniqi both outstanding, and they seemed to be in full control.

But Harrow took the lead just before the interval with a free-kick from 25 yards that appeared to be going wide – only to take a wicked bounce and creep just inside the post.

And the visitors doubled their advantage straight away when Karan Patel felled a Harrow player inside the penalty area and the resulting spot-kick was slotted past Nathan Barnard.

Brent made changes at half-time and Ark Academy debutant Morgan Whittick began to cause problems for the visitors, linking up well with Khaliq Callender and Lorenzo Simon.

A slick passing move brought Harrow their third goal, but the home side kept battling and Callender’s chip struck the crossbar, while Reece Weekes wriggled past two defenders and smashed his shot inches wide.

Brent did eventually grab a consolation goal when captain Kyle Mathews raced clear on the left and cut the ball back for Callender to score his second goal in successive games.

Brent coach Ger Ampofo said: “We played well, especially in the first half. The whole team tried hard and showed real spirit. Drillon was tremendous and Morgan made a very impressive debut.”

Brent under-14s lost their unbeaten record in emphatic fashion as they went down 4-0 to Harrow in the Middlesex Cup.

Harrow took the lead with a spectacular 25-yarder on 15 minutes, but Brent went close to responding as Sami Abighman hit the bar and Vinicius Alves narrowly failed to get on the end of a through ball.

A miscued cross put Harrow two up at the break and, although Brent pressed to get back in the game in the second half, their opponents added two further goals on the counter-attack.

Brent coach Duncan MacDowall said: “We’re a passing team but we lost possession too easily and were punished. We’re a lot better than that scoreline and we’ll look to put things right next week.”

Brent under-11s squandered a two-goal half-time lead as they were beaten 3-2 by Barking & Dagenham in the Lester Finch Trophy.

Dominic D’Souza opened the scoring with an excellent free-kick before Ray Lluka supplied a corner for Matthew Lenihan to head in at the near post and put Brent 2-0 up.

But Brent lost their way in the final 10 minutes, conceding two goals in quick succession and, at the death, Barking & Dagenham added a third that looked offside.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times