Billericay Town 2 Wealdstone 5: Stones roll on to FA Trophy semi-finals as Bradley Bubb treble helps down Blues

PUBLISHED: 16:57 24 February 2018 | UPDATED: 16:57 24 February 2018

Wealdstone celebrate the second goal for Bradley Bubb against Billericay Town in the FA Trophy (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Wealdstone celebrate the second goal for Bradley Bubb against Billericay Town in the FA Trophy (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Buildbase FA Trophy quarter-final: Billericay Town 2 (Swaine 28, Modeste 67) Wealdstone 5 (Bubb 20, 30, 50, Wellard 38, Whichelow 44)

Wealdstone progressed to the semi-finals of the FA Trophy with a 5-2 drubbing of Bostik Premier leaders Billericay Town.

Stones enjoyed a stunning opening 45 minutes at the AGP Arena, with a Bradley Bubb double helping them take a 4-1 lead at the break.

Bubb completed his treble after the interval to cap a fine afternoon for the National League South outfit as their fine run competition continues.

Stones boss Bobby Wilkinson made four changes for the clash, including handing Bubb his debut after joining from National League outfit Ebbsfleet United on Friday.

Wealdstone had a let off in the third minute when Sam Deering netted from close range, but the goal was ruled out after the ball was adjudged to have gone out of play earlier in the move.

Nine minutes later, a swift counter attack from Stones resulted in Bubb drawing a good save from Alan Julian with a 25 yard strike, before Ricky Wellard fired the rebound into the side netting from an acute angle.

A minute later, a cross into the box by Wellard was cleared, but only as far as Danny Green on the edge of the box.

The midfielder took one touch to set himself before shooting, but saw his effort deflected into the arms of Julian.

It was Wilkinson’s men who took the lead in the 20th minute, with Bubb marking his debut in fine style.

Danny Green played a ball over the top for Bubb to chase, with the forward shrugging off marker Rob Evans before firing under the onrushing Julian.

The lead didn’t last long, though, with defender Rob Swaine scoring from close range to draw the hosts level eight minutes later.

Parity, however, proved to be even shorter, with Bubb firing Stones back ahead in the 30th minute.

A cross from Reagen Ogle found the forward in acres of space in the box, with Bubb providing a composed finish to net.

Eight minutes later, Stones added a third when Ricky Wellard struck low and hard past Julian.

Tiryaki superbly controlled a long ball from defence, before passing to Wellard in the box, who found the finish for the Grosvenor Vale side’s third goal.

Wealdstone were able to add a fourth before the break when a corner from Matty Whichelow was punched into his own net by Julian.

Blues went close to pulling one back on the stroke of half time, but Jake Robinson was thwarted by Jonathan North on the line.

North’s stop meant Wealdstone were able to take their three-goal lead into the interval.

Just five minutes into the second half, Stones moved further clear when Bubb completed his hat-trick in fine style.

The forward chested the ball down, before firing past Julian from 25 yards to net for the visitors’ fifth goal of the afternoon.

Billericay nearly hit back in the 54th minute, but North rushed out of his goal to meet Robinson and smother the forward’s shot.

The Blues went close again 11 minutes later, with Robinson seeing two efforts cleared off the line in quick succession following a corner.

After applying plenty of pressure, it was perhaps inevitable Billericay would pull one back and so it proved, with Ricky Modeste heading home in the 67th minute.

Town could have had a third four minutes later, but North got down well to keep out a free kick from substitute Billy Bricknell.

Stones were able to see out the remainder of the game without too much incident as they secured their place in the final four.

Billericay (4-4-2): Julian; Kizzi, Inman, Swaine, Evans (O’Hara 46); Deering, Waldren (Bricknell 46), Paine (Butcher 46), Modeste; Robinson, Cunnington.

Subs: Hughes, Wheeler.

Wealdstone (4-4-2): North; Ogle, Wilson, Oshodi, Okimo; Whichelow, Cox, Wellard, Green; Tiryaki (Fitchett 79), Bubb (Goodger 88).

Subs: Day, Oyudeko, Artwell.

Referee: Carl Brook.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists