Search

European challenger confident of beating both Groves and DeGale

PUBLISHED: 15:30 20 February 2013 | UPDATED: 15:30 20 February 2013

James DeGale (right) with George Groves

James DeGale (right) with George Groves

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Mouhamed Ali Ndiaye is confident of ending George Groves' unbeaten record when they clash next month - and says he would have defeated James DeGale too.

Ndiaye was originally scheduled to challenge DeGale for the European super-middleweight title last month until the Harlesden man opted to give up the belt and defend his WBC silver championship instead.

Now the Italian-based Senegalese faces Groves at Wembley Arena for the vacant European crown, and has warned the Londoner not to look beyond their March 18 meeting.

“I hear that Groves is looking past me at a world title next against [Arthur] Abraham or [Robert] Stieglitz,” said Ndiaye. “He is wrong and this is being disrespectful to me.

“I’ve never been stopped and he says he can knock me out, but it will be the opposite – I will knock him out. I’m motivated to be the first to beat Groves and realise my dream and get a world title shot.

“I really wanted to fight DeGale because he’s an Olympic champion. What I know is that I would have beaten DeGale in front of his fans.”

Ndiaye’s only defeat in his 23-fight professional career came on a split decision in his European title bout with Lolenga Mock five years ago.

Meanwhile, DeGale’s promoter Mick Hennessy confirmed that the 27-year-old will face Argentinian Pablo Farias for the WBC silver title when he returns to the ring at Glow, Bluewater, on March 23.

Farias has won 24 of his 26 professional contests and is also a two-time Latino super-middleweight champion.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists