Boxing: Dubois-Joyce rearranged for October 24
- Credit: PA
The all-British showdown between unbeaten heavyweights Daniel Dubois and Joe Joyce has been rearranged for October 24 at the London O2 Arena.
The original contest on July 11 was postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic but promoter Frank Warren is optimistic of the fight going ahead on the new date, potentially with some fans in attendance.
Warren said: “It will be a fight to remember. Everyone wants to see it. Lockdown has meant a delay, but we all want the fight to take place in October and we are hopeful that the government will give us the all clear.
“What a position the winner will be in. They will be nailed on for a world title shot in 2021.”
Warren has already announced three shows at the BT Sport Studio behind closed doors, the first of which will be held on July 10 which is set to mark the resumption of professional boxing in this country.
You may also want to watch:
British and Commonwealth champion Dubois – a former Dale Youth and Islington amateur – has won all 14 of his professional bouts, all but one inside the distance, while Joyce, a Rio 2016 silver medalist, boasts a 10-0 record, with nine stoppages.
Joyce said: “It was great news to get the new date so I can finally punch up Dubois.
- 1 Kilburn grandmother hears 'terrific bang' as bathroom ceiling collapses
- 2 QPR boss pleased with Man United win and now looking to tie down Odubajo
- 3 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 4 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 5 New QPR signing Stefan Johansen wants to push for promotion
- 6 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 7 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 8 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 9 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 10 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
“Now gyms are open for athletes I can kick on and just keep my focus on the new date, finally settling the score with Dubois and moving on to a world title fight.”