Boxing: Dubois-Joyce rearranged for October 24
- Credit: PA
The all-British showdown between unbeaten heavyweights Daniel Dubois and Joe Joyce has been rearranged for October 24 at the London O2 Arena.
The original contest on July 11 was postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic but promoter Frank Warren is optimistic of the fight going ahead on the new date, potentially with some fans in attendance.
Warren said: “It will be a fight to remember. Everyone wants to see it. Lockdown has meant a delay, but we all want the fight to take place in October and we are hopeful that the government will give us the all clear.
“What a position the winner will be in. They will be nailed on for a world title shot in 2021.”
Warren has already announced three shows at the BT Sport Studio behind closed doors, the first of which will be held on July 10 which is set to mark the resumption of professional boxing in this country.
You may also want to watch:
British and Commonwealth champion Dubois – a former Dale Youth and Islington amateur – has won all 14 of his professional bouts, all but one inside the distance, while Joyce, a Rio 2016 silver medalist, boasts a 10-0 record, with nine stoppages.
Joyce said: “It was great news to get the new date so I can finally punch up Dubois.
- 1 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 2 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 3 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 4 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 5 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 6 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
- 7 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 8 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 9 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 10 Third stabbing in Neasden as murder investigation under way
“Now gyms are open for athletes I can kick on and just keep my focus on the new date, finally settling the score with Dubois and moving on to a world title fight.”