DeGale is set for Wembley Stadium date in 2015
PUBLISHED: 17:30 15 October 2014 | UPDATED: 17:35 15 October 2014
Promoter Eddie Hearn is confident James DeGale will be back fighting at Wembley Stadium next summer if he can come through the challenges ahead of him between now and next June.
DeGale will face Mexican Marco Antonio Periban on the sold-out Echo Arena show in Liverpool on Saturday November 22.
DeGale is the mandatory challenger for IBF super-middleweight champion Carl Froch, but the 2008 Olympic gold medallist faces a tough fight in former WBC world title challenger Periban on the undercard of the rematch between Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew.
Hearn said: “There is a great chance that James DeGale will be fighting at Wembley next summer.
“There’s two dates available, June 27 and on the week after.
“If Froch doesn’t fight DeGale because he vacates the belt and DeGale wins a world title then he could fight at Wembley.
“If DeGale does fight Froch and beats him then he could also fight at Wembley.”
DeGale blew away the previously unbeaten Brandon Gonzales in four rounds on the undercard of George Groves’ second defeat to Froch at Wembley in May and wants to make another statement against Periban next month.
DeGale said: “This is like a second final eliminator as if I don’t beat him, I don’t box for a world title.
“It’s a good test, he took Sakio Bika close and he had J’Leon Love all over the place and should have finished him off.
“He’s not a typical Mexican, he can box on the back foot and he’s going to come to fight and that will bring out the best in me.
“I am looking forward to it, it’s on a great show so roll on November 22.”
The former Dale Youth amateur is confident he will deliver in Liverpool, a city the Harlesden man has grown to love.
He said: “I think I must have been a scouser in a past life or something because it is one of my favourite cities. The fans love me up there.
“I’m hoping that people will give me credit after I’ve beaten Periban. I didn’t want an eight round keep busy fight, I wanted a name that will impress people when I win in style and it will set up a fight with Carl.
“It’s not about me fighting Carl though, it’s about me getting my shot at the world title and making history becoming the first British gold medallist to win a World title.”
DeGale says that, unlike Froch, he will not be taking up any reality TV offers until he has hung up his gloves.
He said: “I’ve been offered to do all sorts like Big Brother and even Strictly Come Dancing a few years ago but it is not that time. After I’ve retired then why not?
“I think Carl, because he has achieved so much in boxing, I think, he thinks he can do it no problem. Each to their own - if he wants to do then good luck to him.”
DeGale is pleased to see another local amateur gym competing with Neasden ABA reopening.
He added: “With Trojan closing down and moving to Kingsbury it is a touch more out. With the club opening in Neasden, it’s perfect.”
Follow me @RobBrennan82
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.