Brent youngsters hoping for spot in national youth team after being at England trials
- Credit: Archant
Four Brent girls took part in trials for the English Schools’ FA under-15 team at Bedfont Sports on Sunday.
Angel Acheampong, Lalini Salpadoru, Shakira Kafero-Roberts and Susan Uwaifo have all played for various Brent Schools’ FA teams, but had a chance to impress in front of national scouts.
The young quartet will hope to emulate the success of Rachel Yankee and Raheem Sterling, who both went on to represent their country after featuring for Brent Schools’ FA teams.
“It is a huge honour to even be nominated to attend an England trial and, whatever the outcome, I hope the girls enjoyed the experience,” said Brent Schools’ FA chairperson Chris Ampofo.
“Girls’ football in Brent is going from strength. The under-12 team has some very good footballers in the side and if they can keep improving, the sky is the limit for them”.
You may also want to watch:
The Brent girls’ teams train Capital City Academy every Wednesday from 5.30-6.30pm, with training open to players of all abilities aged between six and 12.
*The Brent under-11 boys’ football team fell to a narrow 4-3 defeat away to fierce rivals Harrow.
- 1 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 2 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 3 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 4 Hospitality Day: Your favourite restaurant... REVEALED
- 5 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 6 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
- 7 Hospitality Day: Your favourite Brent cafe revealed
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 'Erratic, violent' man given indefinite hospital order for killing 'friendly' neighbour in Wembley
- 10 How shared ownership is helping first-time buyers step onto the property ladder in the capital
The borough boys trailed 2-1 at half-time, despite a fine goal from Le’Kai Chevannes with Dhyan Sharma providing the assist.
Troy Kelly scored twice after the interval for Brent, but it was not to be as the under-11s suffered a loss.
Brent: Barrett, Chevannes, Giscombe, Kelly, Lindner, Muslika, Pollendine, Prela, Sharma, Somers, Zanuncio, Zebiri.
* The Middlesex Schools’ FA under-14 girls’ football team played out a 1-1 draw with their Kent counterparts.
Kent also provided the opposition for the Middlesex Schools’ FA under-16 girls’ football team, who opened their season with a defeat.
Despite the result, the match saw a fine exhibition of women’s football with plenty of attacking skill on show.
“Me and the coaching staff feel very lucky to be working with such a talented group of female footballers from all over Middlesex,” said manager Ben Moore.
The youngsters will hope for a winning displays next time.
Midds under-16 girls: O’Connor, Baranowski, Ellis, Jackson, Selby, Nolan, White, Nee-Chambers, Renander, Reeves, Clark, Kiely, Finburgh, Wolfin, Stewart, Benjamin.