Boxing: Wembley boxer Gary Corcoran continues comeback from first defeat with split decision win over Larry Ekundayo

PUBLISHED: 09:00 13 July 2017

Gary Corcoran (left) in action against Larry Ekundayo (pic: Natalie Mayhew/Butterfly Boxing)

Gary Corcoran (left) in action against Larry Ekundayo (pic: Natalie Mayhew/Butterfly Boxing)


The latest news from the local boxing scene

Wembley boxer Gary Corcoran continued his return from losing his unbeaten record with a win on the Frank Warren promotion at the Copper Box on Saturday.

Corcoran had an unbeaten run at super-welterweight before he challenged Liam Williams for the British title in July last year.

Despite a close battle, Corcoran lost his unbeaten record against Williams following a winning run of sixteen fights.

The 26-year-old has now moved down to welterweight and his fight against Larry Ekundayo at the weekend was for the vacant WBO Inter-Continental title.

In a very close contest, Corcoran took the middle rounds, forcing Ekundayo onto the back foot and outworking his opponent.

Ekundayo of Stoke Newington came back strong in the last few rounds, though, to give the judges something to think about.

Two of the judges scored the fight in Corcoran’s favour by 115-113 and 114-113, while the third gave it to Ekundayo by 114-113.

“I thought I had won by three rounds and feel I am stronger at my new weight,” Corcoran told the Times after the fight.

Former Dale Youth BC youngster Daniel Dubois chalked up win number four on the same bill, winning the vacant WBC youth world heavyweight title.

Against Mauricio Barragan, Dubois shook the Uruguayan with a right hook to the head in the opening round, but he somehow survived that.

In round two, after Dubois hit Barragan with two heavy body blows and a left hook, referee Lee Cook counted out the South American in a time given at one minute and 31 seconds.

“Learning every day with Martin Bowers. The first of many titles,” posted Dubois on social media site Twitter following the quick win, along with a picture of his new belt.

At York Hall on a Goodwin promotion on Sunday, Shepherd’s Bush boxer and former Stonebridge cruiserweight Mikael Lawal proved too powerful for Florian Strupits.

Lawal’s hard punching rocked the Latvian and utilised his fast hand speed o alnd a hard left hook to his opponent’s body.

That brought about the end of the fight, with the contest all over in just one minute and 57 seconds.

It was referee Phil Edwards who signalled the end of the contest, meaning Lawal has now won both of his fights inside the distance.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times