Ashford Town 2 Wealdstone 1: Stones beaten in final of Middlesex Senior Charity Cup final

Wealdstone manager Gordon Bartlett (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Wealdstone manager Gordon Bartlett (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo) - Credit: David Simpson/TGS Photo

Middlesex Senior Charity Cup Final: Ashford Town 2 Wealdstone 1

Wealdstone’s season ended in bitter disappointment as they were defeated 2-1 by Ashford Town in the Middlesex Senior Charity Cup Final.

A poor first half proved costly as Stones conceded a penalty just ten seconds into the game, which Alex Fisher converted, before Dan Fleming added a second on 31 minutes. Although Wealdstone mounted a strong second half response through Ricky Wellard’s goal and some brave last ditch defending from Town, it wasn’t enough to force the tie into penalties.

Gordon Bartlett named a strong side with Wellard and Luke Sheldrick the only changes from Saturday’s 1-1 draw at East Thurrock United, with Joe White and Jonathan North the two omissions.

But it was Ashford who were the brightest and looked like the side who were two divisions higher in the first half, if not in finesse but certainly in commitment, energy and enthusiasm.

You may also want to watch:

Ciaron Brown upended Fleming just ten seconds into the half and a penalty was awarded, with Fisher sending Sheldrick the wrong way as Ashford went 1-0 up before Stones had even touched the ball.

Town should have doubled their lead just four minutes in when Fleming latched onto a long ball, but having beaten Tom Hamblin for pace and just Sheldrick to beat, he smashed the ball over the bar.

Most Read

It was 2-0 shortly after the half hour mark when a through ball was fed to the man of the match Fleming, and he slotted past Sheldrick who did manage to get a hand to it.

Wealdstone almost pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time when Danny Green struck a 25-yard free-kick off the crossbar, but as the second half was to prove, their luck was out.

Just nine minutes into the second half the Stones had a lifeline when Eddie Oshodi played a low cross to the unmarked Wellard at the far post and he scored the easiest of goals against his first club.

Dan Fitchett thought he had equalised on 72 minutes, only to have his header controversially ruled out for a foul.

Five minutes later, Wellard slotted a strike past Tyler Tobin only to see Russel Canderton heroically prevent the ball crossing the line by somehow clearing over the crossbar.

Tobin then denied Sam Cox a first Wealdstone goal in injury time after Oshodi played another low cross.

Cox slotted toward the corner, but Tobin produced a fast reaction save to tip the ball wide ensuring the the cup was presented to Ashford.

Wealdstone: Sheldrick, Oshodi, Sellers, Brown (Benyon 86), Hamblin, Green, Wright (White 64), Cox, Fitchett, Wellard, Whichelow

Subs not used: Parker, Hunt, Godfrey

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter