Alex Smithies: I love playing for QPR and want to stay here for many years to come
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
QPR goalkeeper Alex Smithies believes he is in the form of his life and says he would be delighted to extend his stay in W12.
The 26-year-old, whose contract expires in the summer of 2018, has proved to be an outstanding acquisition for the Rs, having arrived from Huddersfield Town back in August 2015.
His form has not gone unnoticed, with Aston Villa sounding out the experienced shot-stopper in this transfer window, although Rangers are yet to receive a formal offer for his services.
As the Times revealed last month, there was also plenty of other interest in the highly-rated keeper last summer, but he wanted to remain at Loftus Road.
And Smithies, who has made close to 300 appearances in the Championship, has no desire to move on any time soon.
You may also want to watch:
Indeed he is keen to sign a new long-term deal at QPR, and positive discussions have already taken place.
Speaking exclusively to this publication he said:“I’d be delighted to extend my stay here. I love playing for this club – the fans and the manager are really backing me.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Body of newborn baby found in Grand Union Canal in Willesden
- 3 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 4 Three men charged after police officer injured in traffic stop
- 5 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 6 Summer of Play season launch in Wembley Park this June
- 7 Mother of newborn baby found in Willesden canal urged to seek medical help
- 8 Man jailed after assaulting police officers while drunk
- 9 Residents priced out the area they grew up in
- 10 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
“My family are settled too [in Windsor], and that’s vitally important for any footballer, so that’s great for me. I’m happy to continue playing for this club for many years to come.”
That will be welcome news for Holloway and QPR’s players, while the ex-England youth keeper is also a firm fans’ favourite.
While he has only picked up five clean sheets in his 26 appearances for the Rs this season, that does not tell half the story.
Smithies has been in inspired form throughout the campaign, and he feels he is performing as well as he has ever done.
“I’m really enjoying playing for QPR,” he added. “It’s inevitable that you have good and bad spells, but I think I’ve been really consistent this season.
“I might not have picked up as many clean sheets as I would have liked, but I feel my overall performance levels have been high, so that’s been really pleasing.
“I feel as though I’ve taken my game to the next level, so I’m feeling really content with everything right now.”