Young climbers show the way
by Roxanne Blakelock The final of a youth climbing event was held at one of the biggest and busiest climbing centres in the country. The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) Youth Climbing Series final was hosted at Westway Sports Centre
by Roxanne Blakelock
The final of a youth climbing event was held at one of the biggest and busiest climbing centres in the country.
The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) Youth Climbing Series final was hosted at Westway Sports Centre in Crowthorne Road, Ladbroke Grove on Saturday.
Kitty Wallace, 14, from Chelsea, is the youngest ever British female to climb the grade of 8a on an outdoor established route.
A spokeswoman for Westway said: "The skills for this incredible achievement were learned at Westway. Kitty discovered climbing aged seven, after joining her first climbing session with her sister and best friend at Westway. Now, only seven years after discovering the sport, she is one of the UK's leading climbers."
kitty said: "I first went to the Westway to do a holiday tennis club. While there we noticed a poster about climbing. As I'd always climbed everything possible since I could walk my mother thought this sounded great.
- 1 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 2 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 3 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 4 Call for investment in 'joke' Harlesden park
- 5 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 6 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 7 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 8 Labour accused of 'power grab' move over committee appointments
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Jailed: 7 north London offenders put behind bars in April
She hadn't even known that you could do indoor rock climbing. I still really enjoy local competitions, especially the Westway Super League. I wouldn't be where I am without lots of help and support from all of the coaches at the Westway."