Young climbers show the way
by Roxanne Blakelock The final of a youth climbing event was held at one of the biggest and busiest climbing centres in the country. The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) Youth Climbing Series final was hosted at Westway Sports Centre
by Roxanne Blakelock
The final of a youth climbing event was held at one of the biggest and busiest climbing centres in the country.
The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) Youth Climbing Series final was hosted at Westway Sports Centre in Crowthorne Road, Ladbroke Grove on Saturday.
Kitty Wallace, 14, from Chelsea, is the youngest ever British female to climb the grade of 8a on an outdoor established route.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Westway said: "The skills for this incredible achievement were learned at Westway. Kitty discovered climbing aged seven, after joining her first climbing session with her sister and best friend at Westway. Now, only seven years after discovering the sport, she is one of the UK's leading climbers."
kitty said: "I first went to the Westway to do a holiday tennis club. While there we noticed a poster about climbing. As I'd always climbed everything possible since I could walk my mother thought this sounded great.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 4 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 7 Dykes hurt as QPR topple Hatters to end season on winning note
- 8 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 9 QPR boss Warburton not worried about Dykes' injury
- 10 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
She hadn't even known that you could do indoor rock climbing. I still really enjoy local competitions, especially the Westway Super League. I wouldn't be where I am without lots of help and support from all of the coaches at the Westway."