Young climbers show the way
by Roxanne Blakelock The final of a youth climbing event was held at one of the biggest and busiest climbing centres in the country. The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) Youth Climbing Series final was hosted at Westway Sports Centre
by Roxanne Blakelock
The final of a youth climbing event was held at one of the biggest and busiest climbing centres in the country.
The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) Youth Climbing Series final was hosted at Westway Sports Centre in Crowthorne Road, Ladbroke Grove on Saturday.
Kitty Wallace, 14, from Chelsea, is the youngest ever British female to climb the grade of 8a on an outdoor established route.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Westway said: "The skills for this incredible achievement were learned at Westway. Kitty discovered climbing aged seven, after joining her first climbing session with her sister and best friend at Westway. Now, only seven years after discovering the sport, she is one of the UK's leading climbers."
kitty said: "I first went to the Westway to do a holiday tennis club. While there we noticed a poster about climbing. As I'd always climbed everything possible since I could walk my mother thought this sounded great.
- 1 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 2 Qusai Alomar, 12, dies after collision involving motorcyclist near Wembley
- 3 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 4 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 5 Neasden businessman left in lurch by HSBC loan programme
- 6 QPR boss Warburton 'savoured' his side's penalty shoot-out win over Everton
- 7 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 8 Crowds flock to Queen's Park Book Festival 2021
- 9 QPR pull off upset with penalty shoot-out win over Everton
- 10 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
She hadn't even known that you could do indoor rock climbing. I still really enjoy local competitions, especially the Westway Super League. I wouldn't be where I am without lots of help and support from all of the coaches at the Westway."