Young climbers scale heights
by Roxanne Blakelock The final of a youth climbing event was held at one of the biggest and busiest climbing centres in the country. The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) Youth Climbing Series final was hosted at Westway Sports Centre
by Roxanne Blakelock
The final of a youth climbing event was held at one of the biggest and busiest climbing centres in the country.
The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) Youth Climbing Series final was hosted at Westway Sports Centre in Crowthorne Road, Ladbroke Grove on Saturday.
Kitty Wallace, 14, from Chelsea, is the youngest ever British female to climb the grade of 8a on an outdoor established route.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Westway said: "The skills for this incredible achievement were learned at Westway. Kitty discovered climbing aged seven, after joining her first climbing session with her sister and best friend at Westway. Now, only seven years after discovering the sport, she is one of the UK's leading climbers."
kitty said: "I first went to the Westway to do a holiday tennis club. While there we noticed a poster about climbing. As I'd always climbed everything possible since I could walk my mother thought this sounded great.
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 5 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 8 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 9 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 10 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
She hadn't even known that you could do indoor rock climbing. I still really enjoy local competitions, especially the Westway Super League. I wouldn't be where I am without lots of help and support from all of the coaches at the Westway."