Wolves 2-3 QPR: Phillips nets second-half brace as Rs secure memorable away win

Matt Phillips celebrates scoring QPR's third goal at Molineux which proved decisive

Matt Phillips celebrates scoring QPR's third goal at Molineux which proved decisive - Credit: EMPICS Sport

Matt Phillips grabbed a brace with Charlie Austin also on target as QPR completed a stunning second-half comeback to earn a first league win of the season at Wolves on Wednesday night.

Things were looking bleak for Rangers midway through the first half as goals from Benik Afobe and Kevin McDonald put the hosts in complete control, but Austin gave Rangers hope with a thumping header just before the break, as Phillips then took things into his own hands from then on in with a superb double after the interval to secure a morale-boosting win for the Rs.

Chris Ramsey made two changes to the side which drew 2-2 against Cardiff on Saturday, with Grant Hall and Alejandro Faurlin replacing Clint Hill and Ben Gladwin in the Rs starting XI.

Inside one minute the hosts could have been ahead with Afobe nearly getting on the end of Dave Edwards’ back-post cross.

Massimo Luongo then carved out a promising opportunity for himself, with Emiliano Martinez gathering the ball at the second attempt after parrying midfielder’s initial shot on target .

Rangers looked hesistant at the back through the first half, so it came as no surprise when Wolves took the lead on 17 minutes.

McDonald released Dicko who in turn found Henry on the right, and his deflected cross came to Afobe via Edwards and he lashed the ball home from close range.

Most Read

It wasn’t long before they doubled their advantage as Rangers were again unstuck through poor defending.

James Perch’s poor headed clearance fell to McDonald on the edge of the area, and he had time to set himself up before firing an unstoppable low drive beyond Rob Green.

Out of nowhere Rangers halved the deficit on 37 minutes as Austin bagged his second goal in as many games after meeting Phillips’s precise cross from the left with an emphatic header.

Rangers ended the half with some more encouraging play, but Wolves deservedly went into the break ahead.

The west London side were fortunate not to fall further behind four minutes after the interval, with Green denying Afobe a second of the night with a superb point-blank save.

That save proved crucial in how the game eventually anned out as Rangers levelled proceedings just three minutes later as Phillips’ low drive inside the area squirmed into the bottom corner to send the Rs faithful into raptures.

Nedum Onuoha could have put Ramsey’s side ahead just seconds later, after meeting a Phillips free-kick with a firm header at the back post, with Martinez doing well to keep hold of the ball.

Both sides then had golden opportunities to take the lead within a minute of each other, with first Chery firing a shot straight at Martinez whenbearing down on goal, before Afobe drilled a shot wide of goal inside the bo at the other end

It was Rangers who took the all-important lead with 18 minutes remaining though, with the impressive Phillips letting fly from 20 yards with Martinez only able to parry his angled shot into the net.

Luongo had a golden opportunity to put the game to bed after Austin found him bearing down on goal, but the former Swindon man’s shot was parried by Martinez, however it didn’t matter as Rangers held on to secure a welcome three points

QPR: Green, Perch, Onuoha, Hall, Konchesky, Phillips, Henry, Faurlin (Polter, 89),Luongo, Chery (Doughty, 78) Austin.

Subs: Lumley, Hill, Hoilett, Gladwin, Emmanuel-Thomas.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter