Witnesses describe their shock of seeing elderly woman killed in Kilburn
Pedestrian died after collision with lorry in Kilburn High Road this morning
Witnesses have described their shock after a pedestrian died during a collision with a lorry in Kilburn High Road, this morning.
The woman, who is believed to be elderly, died she crossed the road close to the junction with Brondesbury Villas at around 9.55am.
Andy Andrea, who works in Monte, a men’s hairdressers opposite where the incident happened, rushed across the road to help immediately after the incident.
He told the Times: “I heard a loud bang and turned round and just saw an old lady lying there, everyone was screaming, I rushed to help but it I could tell it was too late.
“A woman who was driving down the High Road at the same time got out and checked her pulse before putting a blanket over her, I don’t think she had a chance really, it’s very sad.”
A stretch of the High Road was cordoned off between Belsize Road and Brondesbury Villas and motorists and pedestrians were told to use a diversion.
- 1 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 3 School turns itself around after 'sexual bullying' reports
- 4 Man arrested after woman's rape allegation in Neasden
- 5 Neasden pub refused late licence amid fears around crime
- 6 Hundreds of young musicians to gather in Wembley for concert
- 7 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 8 Rogue Wembley HGV trainer sentenced after selling non-existent training
- 9 Hospital's new research centre officially opened by vaccine taskforce lead
- 10 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
Resident Bryan O’Flynn, who arrived on the scene just after the incident said he saw ambulance crews working at the scene but was too shocked to look closely.
He said: “I knew it was something really bad as soon as I saw there was a tent up, it makes you fear the worst.
“The area has had a lot of problems with traffic in the past, somebody died here just a few months ago, maybe people get impatient waiting to cross the road because of all the road works.”
Sadheer Khan, who works in Same Day Buy and Repair also on the High Road described the incident as ‘very upsetting’.
He said: “I looked outside, there were lots of vehicles and people but I could see shoes and a walking stick on the floor, it was horrible.
“The crossings here are too dangerous; sometimes the lights only flash for a few seconds and don’t give you time to get across the road.”
A spokeswoman for London Ambulance said: “We were called to reports of a road traffic collision at about 10am involving a pedestrian and a lorry.
“We sent two amubulances and a single response car. Sadly, one person was found dead at the scene.”