Winnie-the-Pooh's creator immortalised
THE first figure to be immortalised with a green plaque designed to commemorate famous individuals who once lived in the area has been unveiled. Celebrated author of Winnie-the-Pooh, AA Milne, was revealed as the first choice for the new scheme at a resid
THE first figure to be immortalised with a green plaque designed to commemorate famous individuals who once lived in the area has been unveiled.
Celebrated author of Winnie-the-Pooh, AA Milne, was revealed as the first choice for the new scheme at a residents meeting held at Mortimer Estate, in Kilburn Priory - Milne's former home.
Residents threw their support behind the choice and said they were excited to be a part of the scheme.
Ed Fordham, the Liberal Democrat candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn, who helped develop the project, said: "I am very excited about the unveiling.
"Residents were really happy with the choice, and we hope to roll the project out in earnest this summer."
A six-year-old who currently lives in the Renstead House in Mortimer Estate, where Milne was born in 1882, will unveil the plaque this June in honour of the famous book of verse about Christopher Robin, called Now We Are Six.
- 1 Three found guilty of murder for involvement in fatal gunfight
- 2 A Level results 2022: Brent schools as they come in
- 3 Brent triple shooting leaves victims in hospital
- 4 ‘A Windrush Lioness’: Tributes paid to Harlesden resident Lera Clarke
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 7 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 8 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 9 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 10 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
Organisers said they hope Milne's granddaughter, Claire Milne, will attend the event.
The choice was inspired by a book brought out last year by local historian Dick Weindling examining the history of the estate.
l Do you know a six-year-old living in Renstead House who would like to unveil the plaque? Email email@example.com