Willesden man fulfils Wembley Stadium football dream
Competition winner plays in celebrity soccer match
A Willesden man has fulfilled his childhood dream after winning a national competition to play in a celebrity football match.
Wayne Keating, 32, of Melrose Avenue, featured in the friendly game which included Harlesden-born football legend Luther Blissett and former England internationals Rob Lee and Ray Parlour.
Ex-England goalkeeper Peter Shilton managed the two teams and World Cup Final referee Howard Webb officiated the match.
Mr Keating, who won the competition via the Vauxhall Football Facebook site, said: “Growing up everyone dreams about running out of the tunnel at Wembley and playing on the hallowed turf and thanks to Vauxhall and the FA that dream has become a reality.
You may also want to watch:
“It isn’t every day that you play in a game where you are managed by an England legend, skippered by one of the best midfielders to play in the Premier League and refereed by the World Cup Final referee – it all seems like a bit of a dream really.”
To follow Vauxhall’s sponsorship of Home Nations football visit www.facebook.com/vauxhallfootball .
- 1 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 2 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 5 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 6 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 7 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 10 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1