Willesden hairdressing student proves she is a cut above the rest
Teenager scoops best evening wear catergory in industry award
A Willesden student is delighted after picking a national award designed to commemorate aspiring hairdressers.
Sunmisola Williams, who lives in Sterling Crescent, was among thousands of applicants to the Association for Hairdressers and Therapists annual awards.
The competition, held at the College of North West London, in Dudden Hill Lane, Willesden, set out to find the countries best talent across a variety of categories.
Miss Williams, was crowned the winner in the Ladies Evening Wear section, beating off competition from 20 other applicants.
You may also want to watch:
The 18-year-old, who works at Michaels Styles in High Road, Willesden, said she dreams of opening her own beauty salon.
She said: “I heard the organisers announcing third and second place and then I thought that was it I haven’t won.
- 1 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 2 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 3 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 4 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 7 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 8 Travellers eviction from Dollis Hill road highlights needs for sites
- 9 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 10 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
“When they said my name as the winner I couldn’t believe it.”
As a prize she will now receive advice and guidance from top industry professionals.
She said: “Young people got a bad reputation during the riots and the media want to criticise us.
“But I hope people will realise that if you have a dream you can always achieve it and I feel like I am doing that.”