Willesden hairdresser takes the London 2012 Olympics to new heights with heady weave
Michael Roberts’ creation scoops top prize at this year’s Afro Beauty Show
A hairdressers from Willesden has taken celebrating the London 2012 Olympics to new heights.
The award winning salon Michael’s Styles, in the High Road, has created a giant weave in the shape of the Olympic Torch.
The unique design scooped the top prize in two categories at this year’s Afro Beauty Show Live.
Owner Michael Roberts, a former chef, joined the hairdressing trade in 1997 after studying at the College of North West London, in Willesden and set up Michael’s Styles.
You may also want to watch:
Over the years, Mr Roberts has continually won awards and prizes in some of London’s top hair and fashion shows. Last week the salon won best Avant-garde category with its Olympic themed hair-style as well as the best braids category.
Mr Roberts said: “I am really delighted at winning the award. The salon is overwhelmed.
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 New QPR signing Moses Odubajo's story so far
- 3 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 4 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 5 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 6 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 7 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 8 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 9 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 10 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
“Hundreds applied to the competition so to win is a great achievement.
“The Olympic torch might not be passing through Willesden but for us, it has.”