Willesden hairdresser takes the London 2012 Olympics to new heights with heady weave
Michael Roberts’ creation scoops top prize at this year’s Afro Beauty Show
A hairdressers from Willesden has taken celebrating the London 2012 Olympics to new heights.
The award winning salon Michael’s Styles, in the High Road, has created a giant weave in the shape of the Olympic Torch.
The unique design scooped the top prize in two categories at this year’s Afro Beauty Show Live.
Owner Michael Roberts, a former chef, joined the hairdressing trade in 1997 after studying at the College of North West London, in Willesden and set up Michael’s Styles.
You may also want to watch:
Over the years, Mr Roberts has continually won awards and prizes in some of London’s top hair and fashion shows. Last week the salon won best Avant-garde category with its Olympic themed hair-style as well as the best braids category.
Mr Roberts said: “I am really delighted at winning the award. The salon is overwhelmed.
- 1 Two Brent gang members sentenced for £1.1m fraud involvement
- 2 Three men arrested and gun seized after Neasden car stop
- 3 Man shot multiple times in Dudden Hill remains in stable condition
- 4 Man rushed to hospital after shooting in Dudden Hill
- 5 Fresh appeal to find mum of newborn baby girl found in Grand Union Canal
- 6 Kingsbury teen appears in court charged with Brent Cross fatal stabbing
- 7 Three Brent Labour councillors apologised for wrongdoing in 2020
- 8 Person dies after being 'injured by a train' at Wembley station
- 9 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 10 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
“Hundreds applied to the competition so to win is a great achievement.
“The Olympic torch might not be passing through Willesden but for us, it has.”