Willesden hairdresser takes the London 2012 Olympics to new heights with heady weave
Michael Roberts’ creation scoops top prize at this year’s Afro Beauty Show
A hairdressers from Willesden has taken celebrating the London 2012 Olympics to new heights.
The award winning salon Michael’s Styles, in the High Road, has created a giant weave in the shape of the Olympic Torch.
The unique design scooped the top prize in two categories at this year’s Afro Beauty Show Live.
Owner Michael Roberts, a former chef, joined the hairdressing trade in 1997 after studying at the College of North West London, in Willesden and set up Michael’s Styles.
You may also want to watch:
Over the years, Mr Roberts has continually won awards and prizes in some of London’s top hair and fashion shows. Last week the salon won best Avant-garde category with its Olympic themed hair-style as well as the best braids category.
Mr Roberts said: “I am really delighted at winning the award. The salon is overwhelmed.
- 1 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 2 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 3 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 4 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 7 QPR boss Mark Warburton unfazed by prospect of losing Ilias Chair
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 10 Brent Council reignites campaign to tackle paan spitting
“Hundreds applied to the competition so to win is a great achievement.
“The Olympic torch might not be passing through Willesden but for us, it has.”