Willesden Green man builds a Travelodge room on Ben Nevis in charity mission
- Credit: Archant
Kalpesh Khateni helped to raise £60,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support
A budget hotel room has been built on top of Britain’s highest mountain with the help of a man from Willesden Green.
Kalpesh Khetani, 29, was part of a 36-strong team of employees from hotel chain Travelodge to scale the 1,344 metre peak of Ben Nevis in the Scottish Highlands last week7.
The ‘room with a view’ included room walls, the Travelodge Dreamer bed, a duvet, a sheet with four pillows, a chair and a picture – all of which had to be carried to the summit.
Kalpesh, an infrastructure team leader for Travelodge, said: “The weather was atrocious, the climate on the summit was sub-arctic and we basically spent most of our time on Ben Nevis shrouded in cloud.
You may also want to watch:
“The terrain is very steep and exhausting.
“It took us fours hours to ascend Ben Nevis, two hours to construct the room and then two hours and 30 minutes to descend.
- 1 Daughter buys winning Set For Life lottery ticket for mum's birthday
- 2 Wembley business man wins £120,000 National Lottery prize
- 3 Photographer seeks people he took pictures of in the early 1990s
- 4 The road closures to look out for as Euro 2020 kicks off at Wembley
- 5 Man accused of sisters' double murder was 'confused' upon arrest
- 6 Father's Day 2021: Authors from Kingsbury and Kilburn share experiences of being a dad
- 7 Resident calls for 'slum launderette' to be taken off Neasden street
- 8 Appeal after passengers assaulted on buses in Cricklewood
- 9 Man in hospital following shooting in Neasden
- 10 Man arrested after Harlesden stabbing
“The team are absolutely thrilled to have accomplished the mission and it is a great feeling of achievement, as not many people can say they have carried and built a hotel room on top of Britain’s highest mountain.
The venture has raised more than £60,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support.
This is only the second time in recorded history that a hotel room has been built on the summit of Ben Nevis.
During 1894 to 1916 the Temperance hotel provided accommodation for climbers during the summer months.