Willesden Green man builds a Travelodge room on Ben Nevis in charity mission
- Credit: Archant
Kalpesh Khateni helped to raise £60,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support
A budget hotel room has been built on top of Britain’s highest mountain with the help of a man from Willesden Green.
Kalpesh Khetani, 29, was part of a 36-strong team of employees from hotel chain Travelodge to scale the 1,344 metre peak of Ben Nevis in the Scottish Highlands last week7.
The ‘room with a view’ included room walls, the Travelodge Dreamer bed, a duvet, a sheet with four pillows, a chair and a picture – all of which had to be carried to the summit.
Kalpesh, an infrastructure team leader for Travelodge, said: “The weather was atrocious, the climate on the summit was sub-arctic and we basically spent most of our time on Ben Nevis shrouded in cloud.
You may also want to watch:
“The terrain is very steep and exhausting.
“It took us fours hours to ascend Ben Nevis, two hours to construct the room and then two hours and 30 minutes to descend.
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 3 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 7 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 8 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 9 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
“The team are absolutely thrilled to have accomplished the mission and it is a great feeling of achievement, as not many people can say they have carried and built a hotel room on top of Britain’s highest mountain.
The venture has raised more than £60,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support.
This is only the second time in recorded history that a hotel room has been built on the summit of Ben Nevis.
During 1894 to 1916 the Temperance hotel provided accommodation for climbers during the summer months.