Willesden Green councillor named as the new Mayor of Brent
- Credit: GERARD FARRELL / DZ PICTURES
The new Mayor of Brent has been inaugurated to serve the community for the next year in a special ceremonial celebration.
Cllr Lesley Jones, who served as deputy mayor last year, was honoured at a full council annual meeting last week.
Cllr Parvez Ahmed, who represents Dollis Hill, was appointed deputy mayor.
Cllr Jones has taken on her civic duties from Cllr Kana Naheerathan who was widely praised for his “outstanding and tireless work”.
She said: “I’m delighted to have been elected by my colleagues as Mayor of Brent for the coming year. There is a packed and exciting calendar of events and I look forward to meeting lots of residents, community groups and businesses. I would like to thank the outgoing mayor councillor Kana Naheerathan for his hard work last year.”
Cllr Jones, who lives in Dollis Hill and has served as a councillor for 17 years, chose Brent Young Carers as her dedicated charity.
You may also want to watch:
With four children, six grandchildren and two great grandchildren, she was a school teacher in Nigeria for three years before returning to Britain to continue her academic
Conservative councillor for Brondesbury Park Carol Shaw was honoured for 25 years of service.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 3 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 4 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 5 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 6 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 7 'We're angry': London councillors demand Met tackles violence to women
- 8 FA Cup defeat ranks among one of the most 'gutting' for Wealdstone
- 9 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 10 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
The council paid tribute to her contribution and her “outstanding public service” as a councillor.