Willesden girl will cut off her hair and donate it to a children’s cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A nine-year-old from Willesden Green who loves her long hair so much she cries if it needs a trim is having it cut off for charity.
Sophia Malta, from Lydford Road, is having 15 inches (38cm) cut off her thigh length hair for the Little Princess Trust, while attempting to fundraise £2,000 for children with cancer.
The charity provides real hair wigs to children across the UK who have lost their own hair through radiotherapy or chemotherapy.
Many are donated free by the manufacturers in China but the charity also buys them at a cost of £350 each.
Sophia said: “I feel kind of nervous because it’s my first big hair cut. I usually cut three fingers worth and I just start to cry. So I feel kind of happy I’m doing this.”
You may also want to watch:
The youngster, who lives off the High Road, said she was inspired by a family friend who on visit to hospital met a young girl with cancer. “The girl said to her ‘I wish I had hair like that, can you give me some’ and that made me think I can give some of mine.”
She added: “Because the wigs costs £350, if you give the money to the charity they may be able to buy not just one but many.”
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 3 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 4 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 5 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 6 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 7 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 8 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 9 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 10 Kilburn residents forced to flee homes after flash floods
Ego Hairdressers in Salusbury Road are sponsoring Sophia and will give her a shoulder length bob on February 20.
To sponsor Sophia visit mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/andremalta1.
For more information about the Little Princess Trust go to littleprincesses.org.uk.