White van gunmen jailed for 18 years
TWO gun-wielding kidnappers who bundled a man into a van were sentenced to a total of 18 years behind bars. Shaul Toney, 25, of Donnington Court, Donnington Road, Willesden, and Ezekiel Burton, 21, of Pippin Close, Neasden, were hit with 10 and eight year
TWO gun-wielding kidnappers who bundled a man into a van were sentenced to a total of 18 years behind bars.
Shaul Toney, 25, of Donnington Court, Donnington Road, Willesden, and Ezekiel Burton, 21, of Pippin Close, Neasden, were hit with 10 and eight years respectively when police caught them making off with the victim.
The victim, a 56-year-old man from Harlesden, was pistol-whipped and threatened with a loaded 9mm Luger pistol by the pair when they grabbed him in November 2008.
Police on patrol spotted their white Mercedes van without the lights on and followed it for a short while. Officers then stopped the van in Nicoll Road, Harlesden, but as they approached five men got out and fled the scene.
Police chased after Toney when the victim got out and told them what happened. They noticed Toney throw something and when officers caught him they went back and found a loaded gun.
Toney tried to pass himself off as a victim of kidnapping saying: "Thank you officer, you saved my life. They were gonna kill me." The victim identified Toney as one of the two initial suspects who kidnapped him.
- 1 Guilty: Man killed father who defended son from knife attack in Willesden
- 2 Motorcyclist, 34, dies at Staples Corner Flyover
- 3 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 4 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 5 Man stabbed in Harlesden High Street
- 6 Almost 800 homes to be built next to Wembley Stadium
- 7 Wembley fitness instructor stopped man taking his own life
- 8 New Brent baby bank to support 40 families per week
- 9 'It's about belief," says QPR boss ahead of Stoke clash
- 10 Cricklewood man appears in court accused of Golders Green rape
Clothes with Toney and Burton's DNA were recovered from the scene along with the victim's blood in the back of the van.
Burton was arrested in February 2009 and both jailed at Inner London Crown Court on Thursday 21 January.
Further suspects were involved in the offences; however no further suspects have been identified or arrested at this time.
Det Con Tanya Fyffe, Brent Police CID, said: "Toney and Burton have a propensity to violence and they have now been convicted of serious crimes and have been given significant sentences.
"This sends a clear message to their peers and other criminals that Brent police and the CPS will not tolerate such offences and individuals involved will be brought to justice.
"Police in Brent are committed to fully supporting victims and witnesses of all crime and we would like to thank the victim and witnesses for their courage throughout the court process."