White van gunmen jailed for 18 years
TWO gun-wielding kidnappers who bundled a man into a van were sentenced to a total of 18 years behind bars. Shaul Toney, 25, of Donnington Court, Donnington Road, Willesden, and Ezekiel Burton, 21, of Pippin Close, Neasden, were hit with 10 and eight year
TWO gun-wielding kidnappers who bundled a man into a van were sentenced to a total of 18 years behind bars.
Shaul Toney, 25, of Donnington Court, Donnington Road, Willesden, and Ezekiel Burton, 21, of Pippin Close, Neasden, were hit with 10 and eight years respectively when police caught them making off with the victim.
The victim, a 56-year-old man from Harlesden, was pistol-whipped and threatened with a loaded 9mm Luger pistol by the pair when they grabbed him in November 2008.
Police on patrol spotted their white Mercedes van without the lights on and followed it for a short while. Officers then stopped the van in Nicoll Road, Harlesden, but as they approached five men got out and fled the scene.
You may also want to watch:
Police chased after Toney when the victim got out and told them what happened. They noticed Toney throw something and when officers caught him they went back and found a loaded gun.
Toney tried to pass himself off as a victim of kidnapping saying: "Thank you officer, you saved my life. They were gonna kill me." The victim identified Toney as one of the two initial suspects who kidnapped him.
- 1 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 2 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 5 Community vegetable patch in Kilburn under threat
- 6 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 7 Brent pupils raise £1,000 to support sickle cell sufferers
- 8 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 9 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 10 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
Clothes with Toney and Burton's DNA were recovered from the scene along with the victim's blood in the back of the van.
Burton was arrested in February 2009 and both jailed at Inner London Crown Court on Thursday 21 January.
Further suspects were involved in the offences; however no further suspects have been identified or arrested at this time.
Det Con Tanya Fyffe, Brent Police CID, said: "Toney and Burton have a propensity to violence and they have now been convicted of serious crimes and have been given significant sentences.
"This sends a clear message to their peers and other criminals that Brent police and the CPS will not tolerate such offences and individuals involved will be brought to justice.
"Police in Brent are committed to fully supporting victims and witnesses of all crime and we would like to thank the victim and witnesses for their courage throughout the court process."