West Hampstead is the new East Kilburn?
WEST Hampstead residents may soon be travelling to and from East Kilburn if a grassroots petition gains enough support. The petition to have West Hampstead tube station restyled has aroused strong passions, being named both daft and brilliant dependi
WEST Hampstead residents may soon be travelling to and from East Kilburn if a grassroots petition gains enough support.
The petition to have West Hampstead tube station restyled has aroused strong passions, being named both 'daft' and 'brilliant' depending on who is asked.
It was launched on Facebook by University of Westminster graduate Chrissy Tignor, who needs to gain 5,000 supporters in order for it to be considered by Transport for London.
As the Times went to press, the group had 366 members.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Tignor said the name change made sense because West Hampstead is in the same postcode as Kilburn (NW6) but not the same one as Hampstead (NW3).
And she said: "This will make residents of Queen's Park (West Kilburn) and West Hampstead (East Kilburn) feel more "edgy".
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 7 QPR boss Warburton not worried about Dykes' injury
- 8 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 9 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
- 10 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
Life-long Kilburn resident and business owner John McCooke said: "I think it's brilliant. Usually these sorts of stories are renaming an area to make it sound posher.
"What makes this purer is that it is renaming a tube just for some geographical accuracy.
It would be great if this campaign got 5,000 supporters."
But those on the other side of the High Road were not quite so amused.
Councillor Flick Rea, who has represented the West Hampstead area since 1982, called the petition 'daft'.
She added: "I don't think the name East Kilburn has any relevance.
"You might just as well call it South Cricklewood. West Hampstead is a historical place. East Kilburn is not.