Wembley transformation recognised by Transport for London
- Credit: Archant
Radical facelift highly commended at awards ceremony
A transformation of an area of Wembley has been recognised at a London transport awards ceremony.
The radical facelift, which saw a transformation of the area between Wembley Park and Wembley Central train stations, was highly commended in the excellence in walking & public realm category at the Transport for London (TfL) awards.
The project dramatically improved the area known as the Wembley Triangle and pedestrian access to Wembley’s attractions through improvements including; widening pavements around Wembley Park station; planting shallow rooted trees on walkways and completely re-configuring the traffic system and layout of the Wembley Hill Roundabout.
In July 2012, the improvements were enhanced further when a bow and arrows sculpture called Gift of the Olympics Gods was installed on the newly revamped roundabout on Empire Way a week before the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
Brent’s Lead Member for Highways and Transportation, Cllr. Jim Moher said: “Congratulations to all those involved the Wembley Corridor project for this amazing achievement.
“The TfL Awards are the most prestigious in London so to have the scheme recognised in such a way is a real testament to their hard work and shows that we really have made significant improvements for pedestrians and road users alike in the area.”
- 1 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 2 Human remains found in Neasden believed to be missing Agnes Akom
- 3 Jailed: Dollis Hill man who had submachine gun, over £200k cash and drugs
- 4 'Piercing scream' heard night two sisters killed in Kingsbury park
- 5 Boyfriend of murder victim 'fell to knees' at discovering body in Kingsbury
- 6 Photographer seeks people he took pictures of in the early 1990s
- 7 Data shows Delta is fast-becoming Brent's dominant Covid-strain
- 8 Euro 2020: Dykes loses opener as Niko Hamalainen seals win with Finland
- 9 Football fan in serious condition after falling from Wembley stand
- 10 Brent Chinese gets green light for alcohol delivery despite concerns
For more information on the TfL Awards visit, www.transporttimesevents.co.uk