Wembley transformation recognised by Transport for London
- Credit: Archant
Radical facelift highly commended at awards ceremony
A transformation of an area of Wembley has been recognised at a London transport awards ceremony.
The radical facelift, which saw a transformation of the area between Wembley Park and Wembley Central train stations, was highly commended in the excellence in walking & public realm category at the Transport for London (TfL) awards.
The project dramatically improved the area known as the Wembley Triangle and pedestrian access to Wembley’s attractions through improvements including; widening pavements around Wembley Park station; planting shallow rooted trees on walkways and completely re-configuring the traffic system and layout of the Wembley Hill Roundabout.
In July 2012, the improvements were enhanced further when a bow and arrows sculpture called Gift of the Olympics Gods was installed on the newly revamped roundabout on Empire Way a week before the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
Brent’s Lead Member for Highways and Transportation, Cllr. Jim Moher said: “Congratulations to all those involved the Wembley Corridor project for this amazing achievement.
“The TfL Awards are the most prestigious in London so to have the scheme recognised in such a way is a real testament to their hard work and shows that we really have made significant improvements for pedestrians and road users alike in the area.”
- 1 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 2 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 3 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 4 Hospitality Day: Your favourite restaurant... REVEALED
- 5 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 6 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
- 7 Hospitality Day: Your favourite Brent pub...REVEALED
- 8 Call for teams for football tournament in memory of Josh Hanson
- 9 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 10 'Erratic, violent' man given indefinite hospital order for killing 'friendly' neighbour in Wembley
For more information on the TfL Awards visit, www.transporttimesevents.co.uk