Wembley to host a trio of Olympic events
Football, gymnastic and bandminton events to be held in the borough
WEMBLEY will host the football, gymnastics and badminton events as part of the London 2012 Olympics, it has been revealed.
The event’s organisers have unleashed the timetable of Olympic contests that will see Wembley Stadium and Wembley Arena playing an integral role.
After the Olympics kicks off on July 27, 2012, the event’s football matches will take between July 31 to August 11, at Wembley Stadium.
The venue was rebuilt in 2007 at a cost of �800 million.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets for all events will go on sale in March and football fans will pay between �20 to watch one of the first games to �185 for the gold medal match that culminates with a victory ceremony.
Wembley Arena, which hosted worldwide gymnastics events in the 1980s, will be welcoming the sport back into its midst between August 9 -12.
- 1 Brent Council ordered to apologise and pay wheelchair user £27,000
- 2 'It's heartbreaking': Volunteer slams Mayhew Animal Charity plans
- 3 Review: Masalchi street food restaurant in Wembley Park
- 4 'Unacceptable' failings in Met's handling of missing sisters
- 5 Brent's parks and gardens are big winners of London in Bloom awards
- 6 QPR boss Warburton 'stunned' by Carabao Cup exit
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Brent residents invited to free Question Time event on climate change
- 9 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 10 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
Tickets range from �20 to �175.
The arena will also be the home of the Olympics’ badminton events between July 28 – August 5 with tickets costing between �20 to �150 for the finals.
Cllr Ann John, Leader of Brent Council, told the Times she was delighted that the borough will play and important role in the world’s biggest sporting event, she said: “This is fantastic news that Brent is an Olympic borough.
“Wembley is so amazing so it’s only right that the football should be held there.
“It’s also fantastic news that the arena will be hosting the badminton and gymnastic events.
“We are really looking forward to it all and it will be brilliant.”