Wembley to host a trio of Olympic events
Football, gymnastic and bandminton events to be held in the borough
WEMBLEY will host the football, gymnastics and badminton events as part of the London 2012 Olympics, it has been revealed.
The event’s organisers have unleashed the timetable of Olympic contests that will see Wembley Stadium and Wembley Arena playing an integral role.
After the Olympics kicks off on July 27, 2012, the event’s football matches will take between July 31 to August 11, at Wembley Stadium.
The venue was rebuilt in 2007 at a cost of �800 million.
Tickets for all events will go on sale in March and football fans will pay between �20 to watch one of the first games to �185 for the gold medal match that culminates with a victory ceremony.
Wembley Arena, which hosted worldwide gymnastics events in the 1980s, will be welcoming the sport back into its midst between August 9 -12.
- 1 QPR ground name to revert to Loftus Road for 2022-23
- 2 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 3 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 4 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 5 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 6 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 7 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
Tickets range from �20 to �175.
The arena will also be the home of the Olympics’ badminton events between July 28 – August 5 with tickets costing between �20 to �150 for the finals.
Cllr Ann John, Leader of Brent Council, told the Times she was delighted that the borough will play and important role in the world’s biggest sporting event, she said: “This is fantastic news that Brent is an Olympic borough.
“Wembley is so amazing so it’s only right that the football should be held there.
“It’s also fantastic news that the arena will be hosting the badminton and gymnastic events.
“We are really looking forward to it all and it will be brilliant.”