Wembley to host a trio of Olympic events
Football, gymnastic and bandminton events to be held in the borough
WEMBLEY will host the football, gymnastics and badminton events as part of the London 2012 Olympics, it has been revealed.
The event’s organisers have unleashed the timetable of Olympic contests that will see Wembley Stadium and Wembley Arena playing an integral role.
After the Olympics kicks off on July 27, 2012, the event’s football matches will take between July 31 to August 11, at Wembley Stadium.
The venue was rebuilt in 2007 at a cost of �800 million.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets for all events will go on sale in March and football fans will pay between �20 to watch one of the first games to �185 for the gold medal match that culminates with a victory ceremony.
Wembley Arena, which hosted worldwide gymnastics events in the 1980s, will be welcoming the sport back into its midst between August 9 -12.
- 1 Kilburn grandmother hears 'terrific bang' as bathroom ceiling collapses
- 2 QPR boss pleased with Man United win and now looking to tie down Odubajo
- 3 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 4 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 5 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 6 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 7 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 8 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 9 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 10 Kilburn residents forced to flee homes after flash floods
Tickets range from �20 to �175.
The arena will also be the home of the Olympics’ badminton events between July 28 – August 5 with tickets costing between �20 to �150 for the finals.
Cllr Ann John, Leader of Brent Council, told the Times she was delighted that the borough will play and important role in the world’s biggest sporting event, she said: “This is fantastic news that Brent is an Olympic borough.
“Wembley is so amazing so it’s only right that the football should be held there.
“It’s also fantastic news that the arena will be hosting the badminton and gymnastic events.
“We are really looking forward to it all and it will be brilliant.”