Wembley to host a trio of Olympic events
Football, gymnastic and bandminton events to be held in the borough
WEMBLEY will host the football, gymnastics and badminton events as part of the London 2012 Olympics, it has been revealed.
The event’s organisers have unleashed the timetable of Olympic contests that will see Wembley Stadium and Wembley Arena playing an integral role.
After the Olympics kicks off on July 27, 2012, the event’s football matches will take between July 31 to August 11, at Wembley Stadium.
The venue was rebuilt in 2007 at a cost of �800 million.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets for all events will go on sale in March and football fans will pay between �20 to watch one of the first games to �185 for the gold medal match that culminates with a victory ceremony.
Wembley Arena, which hosted worldwide gymnastics events in the 1980s, will be welcoming the sport back into its midst between August 9 -12.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 4 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 5 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 6 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 7 Travellers eviction from Dollis Hill road highlights needs for sites
- 8 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 9 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 10 Labour wins Brondesbury Park in tightly contested by-election
Tickets range from �20 to �175.
The arena will also be the home of the Olympics’ badminton events between July 28 – August 5 with tickets costing between �20 to �150 for the finals.
Cllr Ann John, Leader of Brent Council, told the Times she was delighted that the borough will play and important role in the world’s biggest sporting event, she said: “This is fantastic news that Brent is an Olympic borough.
“Wembley is so amazing so it’s only right that the football should be held there.
“It’s also fantastic news that the arena will be hosting the badminton and gymnastic events.
“We are really looking forward to it all and it will be brilliant.”