Wembley takeaway previously closed for a rat infestation is found overrun with cockroaches
- Credit: Archant
A South Indian takeaway shop in Wembley which was “overrun with cockroaches” after previously being found with a rat infestation has been closed down for a second time today.
Nammur Express in Ealing Road, must also pay £1,651.50 after environmental health inspectors made the second gruesome discovery just months after the first.
Willesden Magistrates’ Court heard the eatery had been temporarily closed in February after environmental officers discovered rats and mice on the premises.
It cleaned up its act and was allowed to re-open but the premises have now been found riddled with live cockroaches in the kitchen and on food preparation areas as well as a number of dead insects in other parts of the restaurant.
Council officers applied to the courts for an emergency prohibition order to shut the restaurant down and today this was granted.
A spokesman for the council said the restaurant will remain closed until managers can provide evidence that food made on their premises does not “put the health of people at risk.”
Cllr James Denselow, Brent Council’s cabinet member responsible for community safety, said: “Failing to keep food premises properly clean and putting the health of customers at risk is something which is totally unacceptable, so I am pleased that this action was taken and that the health risk here has been removed.
- 1 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 2 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 3 Man stabbed in Harlesden High Street
- 4 'It's about belief," says QPR boss ahead of Stoke clash
- 5 Almost 800 homes to be built next to Wembley Stadium
- 6 Cricklewood man appears in court accused of Golders Green rape
- 7 Harlesden TSB branch faces the axe
- 8 Motorcyclist, 34, dies at Staples Corner Flyover
- 9 Dogs kill 'much-loved pet' in Brent park attack
- 10 Wembley man, 18, used schoolboy to sell drug-infused sweets
“While the vast majority of restaurants in Brent are responsible businesses and keep their premises clean to the high standard expected, this case should serve as a warning to those who don’t prioritise cleanliness that putting the health of Brent residents at risk will not be tolerated and action will always be taken.”