Wembley student accommodation block nominated for ugly building prize
Victoria Hall on North End Road is in the running for the Carbuncle Cup award
A new student accommodation block in Wembley is in the running for an architecture prize – but its owners won’t be celebrating if it wins.
Victoria Hall Student Accommodation in North End Road, Wembley, has been nominated in the annual Carbuncle Cup award which is given by Building Design magazine for Britain’s ugliest building.
The block, which opened it doors earlier year, has become a notable feature in the borough’s skyline and is yards from the award-winning Wembley Stadium.
To qualify a building must have been completed within the last 12 months
You may also want to watch:
Julian Mebb, who manages the building, disagreed with the notion that the building was worthy of such an unwanted prize
He told the Times: “Personally I like it. It is state of the art fantastic building.
- 1 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 2 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 3 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 4 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 7 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 8 Travellers eviction from Dollis Hill road highlights needs for sites
- 9 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 10 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
“It will fit in when the rest of Wembley is cleared up. When you put it next to Wembley Stadium it really does stand out as the jewel in the crown.”
The name ‘carbuncle’ is derived from a comment made by Prince Charles, who in 1984 described a proposed extension of The National Gallery as “a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend”
To nominate Victoria Hall email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet using hashtag carbuncle cup.
The winner will be announced later this month.