Wembley student accommodation block nominated for ugly building prize
Victoria Hall on North End Road is in the running for the Carbuncle Cup award
A new student accommodation block in Wembley is in the running for an architecture prize – but its owners won’t be celebrating if it wins.
Victoria Hall Student Accommodation in North End Road, Wembley, has been nominated in the annual Carbuncle Cup award which is given by Building Design magazine for Britain’s ugliest building.
The block, which opened it doors earlier year, has become a notable feature in the borough’s skyline and is yards from the award-winning Wembley Stadium.
To qualify a building must have been completed within the last 12 months
You may also want to watch:
Julian Mebb, who manages the building, disagreed with the notion that the building was worthy of such an unwanted prize
He told the Times: “Personally I like it. It is state of the art fantastic building.
- 1 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 2 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 3 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 4 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 QPR boss Mark Warburton unfazed by prospect of losing Ilias Chair
- 7 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 8 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 9 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 10 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
“It will fit in when the rest of Wembley is cleared up. When you put it next to Wembley Stadium it really does stand out as the jewel in the crown.”
The name ‘carbuncle’ is derived from a comment made by Prince Charles, who in 1984 described a proposed extension of The National Gallery as “a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend”
To nominate Victoria Hall email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet using hashtag carbuncle cup.
The winner will be announced later this month.