Wembley student accommodation block nominated for ugly building prize
Victoria Hall on North End Road is in the running for the Carbuncle Cup award
A new student accommodation block in Wembley is in the running for an architecture prize – but its owners won’t be celebrating if it wins.
Victoria Hall Student Accommodation in North End Road, Wembley, has been nominated in the annual Carbuncle Cup award which is given by Building Design magazine for Britain’s ugliest building.
The block, which opened it doors earlier year, has become a notable feature in the borough’s skyline and is yards from the award-winning Wembley Stadium.
To qualify a building must have been completed within the last 12 months
You may also want to watch:
Julian Mebb, who manages the building, disagreed with the notion that the building was worthy of such an unwanted prize
He told the Times: “Personally I like it. It is state of the art fantastic building.
- 1 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 2 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 3 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 4 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 5 View from the chamber - 'The recycling centre is just inside the new ULEZ boundary'
- 6 Wembley Football League supported by Raheem Sterling sees drama on finals day
- 7 Kilburn grandmother hears 'terrific bang' as bathroom ceiling collapses
- 8 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 9 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
- 10 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
“It will fit in when the rest of Wembley is cleared up. When you put it next to Wembley Stadium it really does stand out as the jewel in the crown.”
The name ‘carbuncle’ is derived from a comment made by Prince Charles, who in 1984 described a proposed extension of The National Gallery as “a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend”
To nominate Victoria Hall email email@example.com or tweet using hashtag carbuncle cup.
The winner will be announced later this month.