Wembley Park project features the faces of residents on 8ft billboards
- Credit: Chris Winter
A project celebrating the lives of ordinary people has turned a group of Wembley Park residents into celebrities.
‘People of Wembley Park’ consists of 8ft hoardings featuring the residents’ faces next to Wembley Stadium station.
The idea came to fruition when local photographer Gary William Smith, tweeted a portrait of a woman in a fawn coat standing waiting for the tube which was spotted by chiefs at Wembley Park.
It’s inspired by the US project ‘Humans of New York’ and documents the stories and faces of ordinary Londoners who range from street vendors to artists, entrepreneurs to managers.
Some residents have been in the area for generations while others have arrived more recently.
You may also want to watch:
James Saunders, chief operating officer at Wembley Park said: “When we saw Gary’s picture on Twitter, and discovered that he worked locally, the two ideas came together.
“We’ve really enjoyed hearing such a vast and interesting range of stories and hope to hear many more as the project continues.”
- 1 Brent Council ordered to apologise and pay wheelchair user £27,000
- 2 Teenager who murdered beloved sisters in Kingsbury park jailed for life
- 3 Review: Masalchi street food restaurant in Wembley Park
- 4 Brent's community lead offers condolences to murdered sisters' families
- 5 Halloween: Squid Game in Wembley Park (minus bloodshed)
- 6 'It's heartbreaking': Volunteer slams Mayhew Animal Charity plans
- 7 Covid: Northwick Park Hospital in need of booster vaccine volunteers
- 8 Mother of murdered sisters pledges jailed teenage killer 'will not be let out'
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
Wembley Park is looking for more volunteers willing to tell their story, or help tell the stories of others.
If you, or someone you know would like to be involved, either as a photographer or interviewee email firstname.lastname@example.org.