Wembley murder could be solved by anonymous letter writer

Cops appeal to authors of unsigned letters to come forward and help crack 12-year-old murder case

DETECTIVES are appealing for the authors of two anonymous letters to come forward and help them solve a 12-year-old murder case.

Investigating officers from Wembley Police Station were sent the letters days after the body of Nijole Siskeviciene was discovered outside garages at the back of Lancelot Road, Wembley, on October 20, 1998.

The 44-year-old had been living 200 yards away from where she was dumped for a week after moving from Charteris Road, Kilburn.

The Lithuanian divorcee and mother-of-one had been strangled elsewhere.


You may also want to watch:


The two letters sent to the police, that are believed to have been written by different people, described seeing her killers carrying her body.

As the 12th anniversary of her murder approaches, detectives have released photos of the two envelopes that contained the letters in an effort that the writers will come forward.

Most Read

In the first letter, the author described seeing a woman being carried out of a house into a car in Lancelot Road by two black men between 1.15pm and 12.30pm.

The letter ended: “I am not much help, am I, I am too old, I am afraid to go outside my door.”

The second letter describes seeing two men lifting a woman wearing blue jeans and a blue jumper. The writer said: “Sorry, I do not want my family in this sort of thing.”

Nijole was found wearing jeans, a pale blue round-necked jumper, a distinctive multi-coloured three quarter length cardigan and open-toed shoes.

Her black leather handbag and her wristwatch have never been found.

Detective Superintendent Keith Niven, who is leading the murder hunt, said: “We are still appealing for the authors of the two letters to contact us.

“I know that originally they did not want to speak to police, but the passage of time may now mean that people feel able to come forward, it is important that they know the information they may have is still valuable to us and we would like to speak to them.”

Last month the Times revealed that detectives had revisited the case and had managed to obtain a partial DNA from Ms Siskeviciene’s body.

This breakthrough will allow police to eliminate any suspects from their enquiries.

DS Niven said: “At this moment in time we do not know the identity of this person, but all we need is a name and we will be able confirm who this profile belongs to.

“If you know or suspect who this may be please come forward.”

Ms Siskeviciene had moved to the UK in May 1997.

She left behind a son who was not living with her and had previously worked as a chambermaid.

But at the time of her death she was jobless, suffering from depression and had very little money.

DS Niven said: “I think it is fair to say Nijole came to England hoping to build a successful future for herself and her son.

“Unfortunately this was not to be and she died a lonely and depressed person.

“Nijole’s son is a lone voice and seeks justice for his mother who was clearly a defenceless and vulnerable person.

“I am committed to identifying who is responsible for Nijole’s death and ensuring that the perpetrator is placed before the courts.

“I would like to reassure anyone in possession of information relating to Nijole’s death that any concerns they may have about contacting police can be addressed and measures put in place to resolve any issues. Anything said can be treated in the strictest of confidence.

“Their evidence could be absolutely vital.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 0208 733 4613 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus