Wembley flat fire caused by unattended candle
- Credit: Archant
Officers from London Fire Brigade believe a blaze that broke out in a block of flats in Wembley was started by an unattended candle.
Fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued a child and five adults from the apartment block in Alliance Close in Wembley shortly before 3am on Saturday.
Two men in neighbouring apartments were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics.
One of the men who had left the building before the emergency services arrived was taken to hospital for treatment.
Fire crews from Wembley spent around an hour tackling the flames before the fire was brought under control at 3:58am.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said investigators believe the cause of the fire was an unattended candle.
He added: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”
- 1 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 2 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 3 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 6 QPR boss Mark Warburton unfazed by prospect of losing Ilias Chair
- 7 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 10 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
London Fire Brigade’s top tips for using candles are:
- Keep candles/tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire. Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.
- Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder
- Make sure the candleholder holds the candle/tea light firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.
For more fire safety information visit : http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/UsingCandles.asp