Wembley Central gets �1m big lottery boost
Ward will receive funds to improve the area over the next ten years
Wembley Central is set to undergo a seven–figure sum makeover thanks to a cash injection bankrolled by lottery players.
The ward features in a list of 150 small urban and rural communities across England which will receive at least �1million from the Big Local programme.
The scheme which is funded through a �200m Big Lottery Fund investment and managed by Local Trust, aims to improve areas and enrich the lives of its residents.
Residents will decide how the funding will be spent over the next ten years.
Cllr Muhammed Butt, leader of Brent Council, said: “I am delighted we have got this funding for Wembley. The scheme brings together my three priorities of fairness, jobs and growth and communities.
“It is completely resident led, so it will be up to the residents living in the area to use the �1m on the things that matter to them.
- 1 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 2 'London’s smallest bus lane' earns Harrow Council £440,000
- 3 Below-par QPR found a way to win at Coventry says Warburton
- 4 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
- 5 Adomah's late goal wins it for QPR at Coventry
- 6 Brent LTN removal set to be financed from 'existing council budgets'
- 7 Residents lose appeal to save Brent leisure centre
- 8 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 9 Sudbury: Plan for 52 one-bed flats falls through after appeal
- 10 Brent Mosque vaccinates 10,000th person
“It can be spent on anything from starting up social enterprises and addressing unemployment to tackling local issues or providing more activities and services for people locally.
“It’s for you to decide what you want for your community.”
The area is already undergoing a �90m transformation project on the high road which should be finished next year.
The scheme, which is being managed by St. Modwen’s, consists of new social and private housing, retail shops including a flagship TKMaxx and a Travelodge.
The train station which is served by Bakerloo, Overground and Southern Railway lines will also be developed.
For more information on Big Local visit www.localtrust.org.uk