Wembley bank match funds money raised for charity by walkers
- Credit: Archant
A bank in Wembley has doubled the funds raised for a charity which restores the sight of blind people in the poorest countries in the world.
Last week, staff at Santander in Wembley High Road, handed over a cheque for £3,384 to Orbis, a charity which helps people suffering from preventable blindness.
The money was raised through the branch’s participation Oshwal Pharmacists Walk which saw 200 people take part.
The event raised £1,692 which matched by the bank through their charity scheme.
Orbis was picked as one of the recipient of the walkn after it was recommended by local accountants Vinoo Patel and Nilesh Haria who also persuaded the bank to become involved.
You may also want to watch:
Liz Allen, head of major donor fundraising at Orbis said: “We are very grateful to Santander Wembley and Vinoo and Nilesh for their support of Orbis. This truly amazing amount of money raised will help us to change so many lives.”
Minesh Shah, Branch Director of Santander Wembley added: “Our team at Wembley High Road enjoyed fundraising as a team and were delighted to know that we helped make a difference to people’s lives all over the world.”
- 1 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 2 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 3 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 8 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 9 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 10 'Universal credit cut is the worst possible decision at the worst possible time'
According to Orbis, 39 million people in the world are blind with 80 per cent suffering suffer from a condition which can be treated or prevented.
For more information visit orbis.org.uk.