Wembley ‘arson attack‘ house becomes an eyesore for residents

Rubbish has been accumulating outside the property

Rubbish has been accumulating outside the property - Credit: Archant

Locals complain that property in Talbot Road is now a rubbish dump

Mystery surrounds a derelict house in Wembley burnt down in a suspected arson attack two years ago that has been left to accumulate rubbish becoming an eyesore for residents.

The house, in Talbot Road, was engulfed in flames on March 15, 2011 and two occupants had to be rushed to hospital. At the time, detectives from Brent CID said they were treating the fire as suspicious and appealed for information about two men who were seen running near the scene.

However no arrests were ever made and residents living close to the semi-detached house claim it has been left to run to rack and ruin and been forgotten.

Raymond Nott, who lives a few doors down from the house, told the Times it had become a rubbish dump.

He said: “It’s a complete eyesore and you can’t avoid it. I thought now was the appropriate time to ask questions as it has been two years.”

Mr Nott claims residents are often forced to pick up rubbish dumped outside the house and have to walk past it every day.

Most Read

“It’s very unpleasant for people living close who have to pick up and get rid of the rubbish” – he added.

“Something needs to be done to make it cleaner or find someone responsible for the initial fire but there may be difficulties as it is privately owned.”

A Brent Council spokesman told the Times they assessed the building after the fire and remedial works were undertaken to make sure it was not in immediate danger of collapse or a danger to members of the public.

He added: “A surveyor will again reassess the situation in light of residents’ concerns; however, building control powers do not extend to restoration of the premises.

“Brent Council condemns all fly-tipping and will do everything in its power to prosecute those responsible. Fly-tipping is a crime and is punishable by a fine of up to £50,000. In the past, we have successfully prosecuted fly-tippers.”

A spokesman for Brent Police confirmed to the Times they had carried out “several enquiries” into the incident but could not identify any suspects.

He added: “All lines of enquiry have now been exhausted. The victim and witnesses have been contacted and provided an account. No suspects have been identified.

“If any new information is provided it will be investigated.”