Volunteering project for over 50s launched in Kilburn
- Credit: Vanessa Berberian
Scheme by Camden Council allows residents to receive help when needed
Over 50’s in Kilburn could be set to benefit from a new volunteering project launched by Camden Council.
Community Time Camden is a new Timebank service which will cater specifically for residents aged 50 and above.
Timebanks allow residents to “dip in” to projects, receiving help at times of need and in-turn providing their time or talents to others when they can.
A record is kept of the number of hours each person contributes – and for each hour offered they can receive an hour back of services from others.
You may also want to watch:
Examples of activities include dog walking, companionship, gardening and escorting to medical appointments.
It was launched at the Abbey Community Centre, in Abbey Road, Kilburn, where Cllr Tulip Siddiq, cabinet member for communities and culture at Camden Council, said: “Timebanking works as a way of increasing not only volunteering, but community participation as a whole. It opens the door for people to contribute as well as receive services, which increases both their level of skills and well-being.
- 1 Pensioner slams Brent Council over 'hell' housing
- 2 Man admits murdering waiter in Kilburn 38 years ago
- 3 Behind Closed Doors: The high number of Brent evictions
- 4 Two men arrested in connection with Jeffrey Wegby killing
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Brent from climate emergency
- 6 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 7 Qusai Alomar, 12, dies after collision involving motorcyclist near Wembley
- 8 Premier League dream will continue to push clubs into crisis says QPR boss
- 9 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 10 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
“This new scheme is a way for the over 50s to share interests with like-minded people, as well as learn new things, try new activities, and meet new people.”
, and make new friends.”
Community Time Camden is organised by Kilburn Good Neighbours, a befriending scheme for older people in Kilburn, West Hampstead and parts of Swiss Cottage and is funded by Camden Council.