Volunteering project for over 50s launched in Kilburn
- Credit: Vanessa Berberian
Scheme by Camden Council allows residents to receive help when needed
Over 50’s in Kilburn could be set to benefit from a new volunteering project launched by Camden Council.
Community Time Camden is a new Timebank service which will cater specifically for residents aged 50 and above.
Timebanks allow residents to “dip in” to projects, receiving help at times of need and in-turn providing their time or talents to others when they can.
A record is kept of the number of hours each person contributes – and for each hour offered they can receive an hour back of services from others.
Examples of activities include dog walking, companionship, gardening and escorting to medical appointments.
It was launched at the Abbey Community Centre, in Abbey Road, Kilburn, where Cllr Tulip Siddiq, cabinet member for communities and culture at Camden Council, said: “Timebanking works as a way of increasing not only volunteering, but community participation as a whole. It opens the door for people to contribute as well as receive services, which increases both their level of skills and well-being.
- 1 Three found guilty of murder for involvement in fatal gunfight
- 2 A Level results 2022: Brent schools as they come in
- 3 Brent triple shooting leaves victims in hospital
- 4 ‘A Windrush Lioness’: Tributes paid to Harlesden resident Lera Clarke
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 7 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 8 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 9 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 10 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
“This new scheme is a way for the over 50s to share interests with like-minded people, as well as learn new things, try new activities, and meet new people.”
, and make new friends.”
Community Time Camden is organised by Kilburn Good Neighbours, a befriending scheme for older people in Kilburn, West Hampstead and parts of Swiss Cottage and is funded by Camden Council.