Volunteering project for over 50s launched in Kilburn
- Credit: Vanessa Berberian
Scheme by Camden Council allows residents to receive help when needed
Over 50’s in Kilburn could be set to benefit from a new volunteering project launched by Camden Council.
Community Time Camden is a new Timebank service which will cater specifically for residents aged 50 and above.
Timebanks allow residents to “dip in” to projects, receiving help at times of need and in-turn providing their time or talents to others when they can.
A record is kept of the number of hours each person contributes – and for each hour offered they can receive an hour back of services from others.
You may also want to watch:
Examples of activities include dog walking, companionship, gardening and escorting to medical appointments.
It was launched at the Abbey Community Centre, in Abbey Road, Kilburn, where Cllr Tulip Siddiq, cabinet member for communities and culture at Camden Council, said: “Timebanking works as a way of increasing not only volunteering, but community participation as a whole. It opens the door for people to contribute as well as receive services, which increases both their level of skills and well-being.
- 1 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 2 Human remains found in Neasden believed to be missing Agnes Akom
- 3 Jailed: Dollis Hill man who had submachine gun, over £200k cash and drugs
- 4 'Piercing scream' heard night two sisters killed in Kingsbury park
- 5 Boyfriend of murder victim 'fell to knees' at discovering body in Kingsbury
- 6 Photographer seeks people he took pictures of in the early 1990s
- 7 Data shows Delta is fast-becoming Brent's dominant Covid-strain
- 8 Euro 2020: Dykes loses opener as Niko Hamalainen seals win with Finland
- 9 Man to appear at Old Bailey charged with murder of missing Agnes Akom
- 10 Teenager killed sisters in 'sacrifice' deal with the devil, court hears
“This new scheme is a way for the over 50s to share interests with like-minded people, as well as learn new things, try new activities, and meet new people.”
, and make new friends.”
Community Time Camden is organised by Kilburn Good Neighbours, a befriending scheme for older people in Kilburn, West Hampstead and parts of Swiss Cottage and is funded by Camden Council.