Used ‘part worn’ tyres that can KILL found for sale in Brent
- Credit: Archant
Second hand ‘part worn’ tyres that could kill are being sold to unsuspecting drivers in Brent.
Officers from Brent and Harrow Trading Standards have issued a warning today as they reveal the shocking discoveries they found after buying tyres from 12 traders in both boroughs.
Out of the 12 tyres bought just TWO matched up to legally acceptable standards and half of them had defects that could pose a serious safety risk if they were put back on a car.
According to the National Tyre Distributors Association and tyre safety charity Tyresafe, who inspected the used tyres that were bought, tyres will often show signs of deterioration and defects after six years.
However in one example a second hand tyre was found to be a staggering 17 years old and at least six of those bought were over eight years of age.
Cllr Michael Pavey, Brent Council’s cabinet member for stronger communities said: “Tyres are the only part of the vehicle in contact with the road surface, so they play a vital role in keeping you safe while driving. Part worn tyres can be very cheap and the savings can be seductive, but it’s not worth it if it ends up costing you your health or damaging your vehicle.
You may also want to watch:
“This investigation by our trading standards team highlights once again the importance of checking your vehicle’s tyres.
“If you must buy second hand tyres, make sure you go to a reputable trader, or shop online to get the best possible price on a new tyre.”
- 1 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 2 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 7 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 8 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
Two traders are under investigation.
For more information about second hand tyres visit partworn-tyres.co.uk.