Two women injured after debris falls from building site in Kilburn
One pedestrian suffered a fractured ankle after being crushed by plasterboard in Albert Road
Two women were hospitalised with one needing an operation following an accident at a building site in a quiet Brent street.
The incident, in Albert Road, Kilburn occurred when a block of plasterboard fell onto a metal barrier causing it to fall and crush the two pedestrians, who were walking along the street.
The impact was such that one woman was left with a fractured ankle and forced to have an operation.
New buildings are being erected on the street, in a scheme carried out by Denne Construction.
A concerned resident, who helped in the aftermath of the accident, but wished to remain anonymous, expressed her concerns to the Times.
She said: “There needs to be something done about this, it’s obviously unsafe and children walk past that area everyday.”
- 1 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 2 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 3 ‘Hello, Wembley’: New stage launch kicks off summer of live music
- 4 'Clean your own roads for Queen' - council says
- 5 Giant inflatable theme park opens in Colindale
- 6 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 7 Writer's hope books could become film franchise
- 8 Jailed: 7 north London offenders put behind bars in April
- 9 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 10 Wealdstone Brook: Concern over grey fungus
Many schoolchildren walk along the road on the way to nearby Salusbury Primary School, in Salusbury Road.
She continued: “Just imagine if someone had been killed, it’s so dangerous.
“I’ve tried putting complaints in but nothing is being done about it, it is as though no-one cares about the residents’ safety.
“Somebody needs to take responsibility for this.”
Brent Police were called to the incident on February 10 at around 3.30pm and London Ambulance Service confirmed they sent two ambulances and treated a 42-year-old for leg injuries and a 41-year-old woman for minor injuries; both were taken to St Mary’s Hospital in Westminster.
A spokesman for Denne Construction said they were ‘extremely sorry’ for the incident and apologised to both women and their families.
He added: “An urgent review has begun employing independent safety consultants to establish the cause of the incident.
“In the meantime as a precaution all plasterboard packs and palletised materials have been relocated away from the site boundary.
“The site management team are in contact with the families of the two injured ladies. I am relieved to say that one lady was discharged the same day whilst the other had a successful operation on her injury.”
A spokesman for Brent council said that council officers have since visited the site and have reported no further hazards.
What do you think? Did you see the accident? Do you think more should be done to make building sites safer? Call the news desk on 0207 433 0000.