Search

Two residents treated for smoke inhalation after cigarette starts a fire in Colindale

PUBLISHED: 11:36 30 June 2015 | UPDATED: 11:36 30 June 2015

Residents in Colindale were forced to flee their homes and two were taken to hospital after a cigarette started a fire in their block of flats.

The blaze broke out in the flats in Aerodrome Road, resulting in two people being treated for smoke inhalation and 37 residents being evacuated by fire fighters on Saturday just after 9.30pm.

Another two residents left their home before fir crews arrived.

Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers from Mill Hill, Finchley and Stanmore fire stations fought the blaze for two hours.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade has urged smokers to ensure they stub their cigarettes are out properly.

He added: If you don’t, you risk causing a fire that could destroy not only your home, but also your life.”

“Fires caused by smoking materials - including cigarettes, roll-ups, cigars and pipe tobacco - result in more deaths than any other type of fire. Last year around three fires a day in London were linked to smoking and half of accidental fire deaths were related to careless disposal of cigarettes.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times