Two residents treated for smoke inhalation after cigarette starts a fire in Colindale
Residents in Colindale were forced to flee their homes and two were taken to hospital after a cigarette started a fire in their block of flats.
The blaze broke out in the flats in Aerodrome Road, resulting in two people being treated for smoke inhalation and 37 residents being evacuated by fire fighters on Saturday just after 9.30pm.
Another two residents left their home before fir crews arrived.
Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers from Mill Hill, Finchley and Stanmore fire stations fought the blaze for two hours.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade has urged smokers to ensure they stub their cigarettes are out properly.
You may also want to watch:
He added: If you don’t, you risk causing a fire that could destroy not only your home, but also your life.”
“Fires caused by smoking materials - including cigarettes, roll-ups, cigars and pipe tobacco - result in more deaths than any other type of fire. Last year around three fires a day in London were linked to smoking and half of accidental fire deaths were related to careless disposal of cigarettes.”
- 1 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 2 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 3 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 6 QPR boss Mark Warburton unfazed by prospect of losing Ilias Chair
- 7 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 10 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours