TfL welcomes RMT decision to suspend first round of strike action
- Credit: PA
Tube workers set to hold a series of Metropolitan Line strikes this month have suspended their plans.
Transport for London (TfL) has confirmed that the first round of strike action at the Neasden depot - planned for today and tomorrow - was called off by rail union RMT yesterday (January 19).
However, action is still expected from 11:30am on February 10 until 11:29am on February 11.
Transport for London head of Metropolitan line operations Lee Stewart welcomed the news that today's proposed strikes have been suspended.
He said: "We are committed to treating our staff in a fair and consistent way and talks with the RMT will continue in the hope that the dispute can be resolved and that further planned strike action will also be suspended.”
Announcing the planned strikes earlier this month, RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said: "There's a toxic culture developing at London Underground which amounts to the wholesale ripping up of normal procedures and agreements and our members at Neasden have said loud and clear that enough is enough.
"I am calling on tube bosses to get a grip and stop this wholesale undermining of normal industrial relations."
Mr Lynch added that the union remains "available for talks".
- 1 Call for investment in 'joke' Harlesden park
- 2 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 3 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 4 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 5 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 6 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 7 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 8 Labour accused of 'power grab' move over committee appointments
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Northwick Park NHS Trust still 'requires improvement'
RMT has been contacted for comment.