Top council jobs announced by new leader
Cllr Ann John has reclaimed her position as the leader of the council following the Labour Party s landslide victory in the local elections. A total of 21 councillors, including Cllr John, will make up the new executive in Brent Town Hall, which includes
Cllr Ann John has reclaimed her position as the leader of the council following the Labour Party's landslide victory in the local elections.
A total of 21 councillors, including Cllr John, will make up the new executive in Brent Town Hall, which includes previous names such as Cllr Lincoln Beswick and Cllr Bobby Thomas.
Among the new faces are Cllr Muhammed Butt who will be the deputy leader of the council and lead member for resources, and newly elected councillors Ben Ogunro and Shafique Choudary who are the party's assistant whips.
Cllr Harry Singh will be the next Mayor of Brent and his deputy is expected to be named in the next few days.
Cllr John had led the council until their defeat in the previous elections in 2006.
She told the Times: "It's quite extraordinary if you look at our group it that has 40 per cent women. The diversity is absolutely fantastic. People are keen and putting themselves forward.
- 1 Man arrested after woman's rape allegation in Neasden
- 2 Neasden pub refused late licence amid fears around crime
- 3 School turns itself around after 'sexual bullying' reports
- 4 Hundreds of young musicians to gather in Wembley for concert
- 5 Rogue Wembley HGV trainer sentenced after selling non-existent training
- 6 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
- 7 Hospital's new research centre officially opened by vaccine taskforce lead
- 8 Plea date set for men accused of fatal stabbing in Neasden
- 9 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 10 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
"We will make a good job of turning this council and look forward to the challenge."
Executive Board (ward in brackets)
Mayor - Cllr Harbhajan 'Harry' Singh (Welsh Harp)
Deputy Mayor - To be confirmed
Leader - Cllr Ann John, OBE, (Stonebridge)
Deputy Leader - Cllr Muhammed Butt (Tokyngton)
Chair - Cllr Helga Gladbaum (Harlesden)
Group Secretary - Cllr Janice Long (Harlesden)
Vice Chair - Cllr Wilhemina Mitchell-Murray (Wembley Central)
Assistant Whips - Cllr Ben Ogunro (Kilburn) and Cllr Shafique Choudary (Barnhill)
Press Officer - Cllr James Powney (Kensal Green)
Corporate strategy and policy co-ordination - Cllr Ann John (Stonebridge)
Resources - Cllr Muhammed Butt (Tokyngton)
Adults, health and social care - Cllr Ruth Moher (Fryent)
Children and families - Cllr Mary Arnold (Kilburn)
Crime prevention and public safety - Cllr Lincoln Beswick (Harlesden)
Environment, planning and culture - Cllr James Powney (Kensal Green)
Highways and transportation - Cllr Jim Moher (Fryent)
Housing and customer service - Cllr Bobby Thomas (Kensal Green)
Human resources and diversity - Cllr Lesley Jones (Willesden Green)
Democracy and consultation - Cllr Lesley Jones (Willesden Green)
Regeneration and economic development - Cllr George Crane (Fryent)