Three residents treated for smoke inhalation following Wembley fire started by Diwali shrine

Candles caused early morning blaze

Three residents were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire believed to be caused by a Diwali shrine ripped through a Wembley property this morning (Friday).

Six fire engines and around 30 firefighters were to the property on Station Grove at around 1am this morning.

The fire was thought to have started after a candle forming part of a Diwali shrine was left burning inside a kitchen cupboard. Firefighters had the blaze under control by 1.48am.

Two residents were lead to safety by fire crews via an internal staircase while a further woman left the building before the Brigade arrived. All three were treated by London Ambulance Service crews.

Station Manager Mick Dent issued a safety warning to residents ahead of the Diwali and Bonfire night celebrations.

He said: “We wish everybody a safe and happy Diwali. It’s important that people take care during the festival, especially when using candles which each year cause a high number of fires.

Most Read

“Also, if you don’t have a working smoke alarm we urge people to use this festival as the ideal opportunity to buy one or book a free home fire safety visit with us. Smoke alarms are vital as they buy you precious time to escape from fires.”

The exact cause of the fire is under investigation.