Thousands attend NFL American football game at Wembley Stadium
- Credit: Archant
More than 80,000 fans descended on Wembley Park to enjoy the first of the three sell-out American football games.
Olympic Way, which leads up to Wembley Stadium was awash with the stars and stripes of the American flag as the NFL International Series got underway.
The New York Jets beat the Miami Dolphins 27 points to 14 in a game which started with both American and British national anthems followed by London Calling by the Clash.
The mood was distinctly American as flags of the two teams left Wembley Park looking more like a US city than London.
Hotdog and popcorn stands gave the area a Stateside feel.
Fans of both teams packed the restaurants and bars of the newly revamped area around the stadium and the London Design Outlet welcomed all shoppers.
Sunday’s match was the first of three NFL games due to take place this autumn.
- 1 Dogs kill 'much-loved pet' in Brent park attack
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 4 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 5 Wembley man, 18, used schoolboy to sell drug-infused sweets
- 6 Three men charged with attempted murder following Wembley shooting
- 7 ULEZ anomaly at Wembley Ikea meaning no £12.50-a-day emission fee
- 8 Possible travel disruptions in north London this week
- 9 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 10 Brent woman jailed for 'horrific' acid attack
Next is Jacksonville Jaguars versus Buffalo Bills on October 25 and then Kansas City Chiefs versus Detroit Lions on November 1.