The sharp edge of the law for trader
A MARKET trader whose employee sold a knife to an underage boy has been prevented from setting up his stall by being placed on a weekend curfew. Mohamed Sajid Khan has been banned from leaving his home between 8am and 3pm every Saturday and Sunday after
A MARKET trader whose employee sold a knife to an underage boy has been prevented from setting up his stall by being placed on a weekend curfew.
Mohamed Sajid Khan has been banned from leaving his home between 8am and 3pm every Saturday and Sunday after he admitted selling the blade to a 15-year-old boy.
Brent Magistrates' Court heard the 31-year-old from Windsor, Berks, had already been convicted twice of identical offences when a worker at his stall broke the law at Wembley Market in February last year.
Unbeknown to Khan, his schoolboy customer was working with Brent and Harrow Trading Standards (BHTS) who were carrying out a sting alongside Brent police as part of Operation Blunt - an initiative targeting knife crime.
You may also want to watch:
At no time was the boy challenged about his age while making the purchase.
It is illegal to sell a bladed instrument to anyone under the age of 18.
- 1 Kilburn grandmother hears 'terrific bang' as bathroom ceiling collapses
- 2 QPR boss pleased with Man United win and now looking to tie down Odubajo
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 5 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 6 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 7 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 8 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 9 Kilburn residents forced to flee homes after flash floods
- 10 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
A former employee who had worked with Khan on one occasion told the court that he had never been given any training in relation to the sale of knives.
Kahn, who claims he is now unemployed after giving up his stall, has been ordered to wear an electronic tag tracking his movements until April 18.
He has also been ordered to pay a contribution to the prosecution's costs of �800.
Bill Bilon, director of BHTS, said: "This case illustrates the importance of giving the sale of age restricted good such as knives, the full consideration that they deserve.
"We work hard with local businesses developing a range of measures aimed at helping retailers comply with underage sales legislation, which includes our 'Responsible Trader Scheme.'
"All members receive an information pack giving comprehensive advice and training material to help them ensure age restricted products are sold appropriately."
Any businesses who would like information on how to join this free scheme should call BHTS on 020 8937 5555 and go to option 2.