The Mayhew looking to rehome deaf Dachshund
- Credit: Archant
The sausage dog, named Bob, was born completely deaf but is now on the lookout for his pawfect home thanks to The Mayhew.
The ten-month-old first arrived at The Mayhew Animal Home last August after his previous owners felt unable to look after him anymore.
They had originally brought Bob and his brother back from Hungary but shortly after arriving in the UK they decided to rehome him after becoming worried that, because Bob was deaf, they would need to dedicate more time to looking after him.
When he first arrived at The Home, the Vet Team quickly discovered there was more going on with Bob than simple hearing difficulties. The Mayhew’s Vet, Dr. Emily Richardson BSC MRCVS, examined Bob after finding him suffering with diarrhoea and vomiting as well as displaying neurological signs such as circling, falling over and balance problems.
After administering a course of antibiotics, Bob’s neurological signs improved, he was neutered and “was soon back to his bright, happy, and playful self in no time”, added Dr Richardson.
You may also want to watch:
The Mayhew’s staff have since gone the extra mile by spending hours teaching Bob sign language, how to walk on a lead, toilet training and urging him to use his other senses to compensate for his lack of hearing in order to equip him with new ways of communicating with people so he wouldn’t be left behind.
The charity’s Dog Adoption Officer, Lisa Guiney, said: “Bob is a lovely comical little boy, who is so confident and doesn’t let his deafness or balance problems get in the way.
- 1 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 2 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 7 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 8 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
“He has quickly picked up lots of commands like sit, stay, down, come and few tricks too by body language, hand signals and reading faces. He compensates for his lack of hearing with his huge personality.
“Rehoming a deaf dog like Bob can be an incredibly rewarding experience; we are hoping to find someone who understands his needs and can give him the attention and care that he requires.
“We are on a mission to find Bob a loving new home and the happily ever after that he is so deserves.”
With already plenty of interest in adopting Bob, this cute sausage dog is sure to find a new home very soon.
If you are interested in adopting any of the dogs in The Mayhew’s care, visit their adoption page www.themayhew.org/dogs/ or call 020 8962 8000.
Alternatively, donations can be made by visiting https://themayhew.org/donate/ to help The Mayhew look after and rehome more dogs like Bob. Instant donations can also be made by texting ‘WOOF13 £5’ or your chosen amount (up to £10) to 70070.