The Beulah Apostolic Church in Harlesden reopens
- Credit: Archant
An international community crowded into a church in Harlesden to celebrate its new opening.
The Beulah Apostolic Church in Church Road, re-opened with politicians, community representatives and residents in attendance.
Dawn Butler, Labour MP for Brent Central, and Cllr Parvez Ahmed, mayor of Brent, joined the congregation as part of the three-day celebration which saw more than 1.500 people come through its doors at the end of May.
Remembering Oliver Tetlow, who was shot dead inches from the church in March, Ms Butler told the congregation: “Just five steps away we tragically lost an innocent young man who lost his life due to gun crime.
“The church has promised to be a refuge for the community and I am pleased that all who enter through the doors will be shown compassion and love.”
You may also want to watch:
Carmen Rodney, of the Beulah Apostolic Church, said: “The opening went extremely well. We had a lot of visitors from the Apostolic churches around London and further afield. The Jamaican High Commissioner sent a letter recounting the church’s history and offered us as much encouragement as possible with what we are achieving.
“Dawn Butler spoke of her support for the community. The place is seen as a place of crime, with the recent murder of an innocent young man. The church as alot to do with the community. Each day ended with a meal and on the final day all the churches came together for a big family meal.”
- 1 'It's heartbreaking': Volunteer slams Mayhew Animal Charity plans
- 2 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 5 'Unacceptable' failings in Met's handling of missing sisters
- 6 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 7 Brent Council ordered to apologise and pay wheelchair user £27,000
- 8 'Universal credit cut is the worst possible decision at the worst possible time'
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
She added: “It took three years to rebuild the church. It’s a beautiful building, it’s a landmark on the road, a dedicated place of worship for anyone.”