Teaching unions raise concerns over free school plans in Wembley
- Credit: Archant
Michaela Community School (MCS) would be set-up by Katharine Birbalsingh
Teaching unions in Brent have raised concerns over plans to open a free school in Wembley Park.
The school, called the Michaela Community School (MCS), would be set-up by Katharine Birbalsingh, a teacher and writer, who would also be the headmistress.
Potential sites for the school have previously included Lambeth and Wandsworth but the school’s official website claims they have now secured a site in Wembley Park.
However, members of Teaching Unions have expressed concern over the growing trend of free schools and said it could be detrimental for other schools in the borough.
You may also want to watch:
Jean Roberts, Brent Teachers Association Secretary said: “Putting this school in the Wembley Park area will directly compete with our existing local schools, including the ARK academy, Preston Manor, Copland, Wembley High and the Crest academies, who are currently building new schools with increased capacity, and it is not where the shortage of school place are.”
Shane Johnschwager, NASUWT branch secretary and national executive member, said: “Brent schools are in the top 10 per cent in the country. This was achieved through the collaborative community approach to state education that Free School’s seek to undermine. All those who live in and send their kids to school in Brent because of traditional Brent values should oppose this school”.
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 3 New QPR signing Moses Odubajo's story so far
- 4 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 5 Traffic disruption in Brent from August 2-8
- 6 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 7 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 8 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 9 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 10 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
The MCS official website states: “We have always been committed to setting up a community school which serves London’s inner-city which sets high expectations and raises standards and aspirations and our choice of location and building is perfect in this respect.
“We will be out and about in Brent discussing the school with parents, carers and potential pupils and will post more information here when we have it.”