Teaching unions raise concerns over free school plans in Wembley
- Credit: Archant
Michaela Community School (MCS) would be set-up by Katharine Birbalsingh
Teaching unions in Brent have raised concerns over plans to open a free school in Wembley Park.
The school, called the Michaela Community School (MCS), would be set-up by Katharine Birbalsingh, a teacher and writer, who would also be the headmistress.
Potential sites for the school have previously included Lambeth and Wandsworth but the school’s official website claims they have now secured a site in Wembley Park.
However, members of Teaching Unions have expressed concern over the growing trend of free schools and said it could be detrimental for other schools in the borough.
Jean Roberts, Brent Teachers Association Secretary said: “Putting this school in the Wembley Park area will directly compete with our existing local schools, including the ARK academy, Preston Manor, Copland, Wembley High and the Crest academies, who are currently building new schools with increased capacity, and it is not where the shortage of school place are.”
Shane Johnschwager, NASUWT branch secretary and national executive member, said: “Brent schools are in the top 10 per cent in the country. This was achieved through the collaborative community approach to state education that Free School’s seek to undermine. All those who live in and send their kids to school in Brent because of traditional Brent values should oppose this school”.
- 1 Guilty: Man killed father who defended son from knife attack in Willesden
- 2 Motorcyclist, 34, dies at Staples Corner Flyover
- 3 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 4 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 5 Man stabbed in Harlesden High Street
- 6 Almost 800 homes to be built next to Wembley Stadium
- 7 Wembley fitness instructor stopped man taking his own life
- 8 New Brent baby bank to support 40 families per week
- 9 'It's about belief," says QPR boss ahead of Stoke clash
- 10 Cricklewood man appears in court accused of Golders Green rape
The MCS official website states: “We have always been committed to setting up a community school which serves London’s inner-city which sets high expectations and raises standards and aspirations and our choice of location and building is perfect in this respect.
“We will be out and about in Brent discussing the school with parents, carers and potential pupils and will post more information here when we have it.”