Suspended jail sentence for owner of filthy restaurant riddled with mice and cockroaches
- Credit: Archant
The Alma Resturant in Edgware Road, Colindale, was one of the worst cases seen by an enviromental inspector in his entire career
The owner of a filthy cockroach and mouse infested restaurant where food for customers was left exposed to vermin has been given a suspended prison sentence.
The Alma Restaurant in Edgware Road, Colindale, owned by Charles Mambo was described by an enviromental inspector as having one of the worst infestations he had ever seen his career.
When inspectors visited the eatery last October, in response to a customer complaint, they were so disgusted by what they discovered the closed the African restaurant with immediate effect.
Not only were the premises filthy, riddled with mouse and cockroaches, in a very poor state of repair and with untrained kitchen staff but food was left opened and exposed.
You may also want to watch:
Inspectors found cockroaches crawling all over produce being served to diners, boxes of eggs were found teaming with insects and mice droppings were all over the kitchen.
Work surfaces were filthy and raw fish was being stored in a bucket of dirty water under a sink beside a bin.
- 1 Wembley bar issued final warning for late nights and Covid 'breach'
- 2 Thirteen arrested following trafficking raids in Kingsbury and Romania
- 3 Neighbours call on council to halt Neasden underpass housing plans
- 4 Kingsbury bar loses alcohol licence for hosting parties during pandemic
- 5 Petrol crisis: Brawls, long queues and empty stations across Brent
- 6 Brondesbury park woman denies killing Wembley pensioner
- 7 Pensioner slams Brent Council over 'hell' housing
- 8 Lib Dem resigns from Brent's budget scrutiny taskforce
- 9 Two men arrested in connection with Jeffrey Wegby killing
- 10 Special needs school's bus cut due to petrol crisis
Alma remained closed for five weeks until Brent Council was satisfied that there was no longer an imminent risk to public health from the pest infestation but the premises were so filthy that Mambo was prosecuted.
Last week at Harrow Crown Court Mambo admitted six offences under the Food Hygiene Regulations at Harrow Crown Court.
He was sentenced to a three month jail sentences suspended for 18 months and ordered to pay £3,000 in costs.
Mambo was told he avoided being thrown in jail because he had pleaded guilty.
Bill Bilon, Head of Consumer and Business Protection for Brent Council, said: “This restaurant was in a disgusting state, there was no concern for the health of the customers and that is just not acceptable.
“We are satisfied with the judge’s decision in this case.”
Click on the picture gallery at the right to see more images taken by inspectors.