Success for National Libraries Day event in Wembley
- Credit: Archant
A community enjoyed a day of readings, singing, art activities and a book giveaway to celebrate National Libraries Day (NLD).
Members of Preston Community Library (PCL) also decorated their former branch with a Harry Potter theme for the special event on Saturday.
Preston Library was one of six branches closed by Brent Council in 2011 to save £1million a year.
The building is now used by Preston Park Primary School but PCL run a volunteer library on the site
Local authors Leon Rosselson and Dan Ridley-Kitts MBE gave reading from their books Rosa’s Singing Grandfather and The Gruffalo, respectively, and Margaret Smith’s Art Room was hugely successful.
You may also want to watch:
Geraldine Cooke, PCL volunteer and one of the organisers, said: “We are delighted to be able to celebrate this important national event at Preston Library and welcome all our local families from this culturally diverse community.
“Now in its fourth year, every year people ask us if we can hold this event every Saturday, demonstrating how important it is that we reopen the library.
- 1 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 4 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 5 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 6 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 7 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 8 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 9 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 10 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
“When people come from so many different backgrounds and speak so many different languages, the one thing that can unite them is books and the stories they tell.”
PCL, the charity set up to run the volunteer library at the Preston Library building, urgently needs storage space for its stock of 6,000 books, while it awaits the go-ahead to move into the library building.
If you can help with dry, local, temporary premises, please contact Samantha Warrington on 07801 697712 or email PrestonCommunityLibrary@gmail.com